Is on the iPlayer all season.

Any thoughts?

Personally I'm quite happy with this. Usually out on a Saturday night so I'm glad that I don't have to keep on watching MOTD2 just for the highlighted highlights.

I always thought they couldn't show it on iPlayer due to PL copyright rules. Wonder if BBC have had to shell out more cash to do this...
yes they did have to shell out to show the rights to their own programme!!

£180m to be precise!!!
The BBC have confirmed that Match of the Day will be staying on our screens for another three years after paying £179.7m for the rights for three years from the 2013-14 season.

The deal is a 4.5% increase on the £172million the broadcaster paid for the current deal.

The rights cover the traditional Saturday evening slot, the Sunday morning repeat, MOTD2 on Sunday evenings and other evenings when Premier League fixtures justify a show.

It also allows MOTD and MOTD2 to be available on the BBC's iPlayer from midnight on Mondays.

"We've seen audiences for MOTD grow in recent years and the programme remains one of the BBC's best loved and most iconic brands. The new contract will see MOTD celebrate its 50th birthday and extend coverage to the end of the 2015-16 season."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/bbc-confirm-match-of-the-day-will-come-847378
I wish I knew this on Sunday!
Can't remember the last time I watched MOTD. Is Jimmy Hill still on?
Yeah, the chin's not as big though.

Such a shame that it costs that much, especially when people don't have digital TV subscriptions. Love the fact that FA Cup matches are on terrestrial TV but surely it gets to a point when only the massive channels such as Sky and ESPN can only show games.
Yep - along with Kenneth Wolstenholme
I was watching TV when Mrs Q sat down beside me, stroked my trophy through my jeans and whispered, "Fancy a good time?"

I said, "You're after something..."

"No I'm not," she protested.

"Yes you are," I said. "You're after Match of the Day. Come back in an hour."
With the new improved Prem coverage in the states we get our own version of MOTD this season, same name, all the football, NO studio time or hosts. They just showed the matches in same order as UK MOTD with a generic voice saying stuff like "and now we go to Anfield" in between clips. It was good.
GynnSquarePhoenix wrote:

With the new improved Prem coverage in the states we get our own version of MOTD this season, same name, all the football, NO studio time or hosts. They just showed the matches in same order as UK MOTD with a generic voice saying stuff like "and now we go to Anfield" in between clips. It was good.

I'd rather have that than listen to lineker, shearer and Hansen.
Cheesyleps wrote:

I'd rather have that than listen to lineker, shearer and Hansen.

Lineker, Shearer & Danny Murphy!

Oh yeah! :thumbsup:

I quite like Alan Hansen, know's the game inside out...
Have to agree. Always enjoy listening to Hansen and even Shearer to a lesser extent. Much better than ITV.
I was hoping we would get the original UK show, but just being able to see the highlights was a treat.
Oh god, lets not get on to Adrian childes!!! MOTD 2 he was perfect, quirky, a bit of a lad.... Now, apart from Keane, their whole coverage is abysmal ...
seasider wrote:

Have to agree. Always enjoy listening to Hansen and even Shearer to a lesser extent. Much better than ITV.

Did you not see them spend 10 minutes going frame by frame over the arsenal penalty to see whether his leg made slight contact with agnonlahor's calf before he won the ball? Joke.

Don't get me wrong, it's a level above ITV but can still be very poor.

I'd love to hear Lineker's views on things now and again. We're talking about a highly decorated footballer with huge experience of the game and he very rarely does anything but introduce the games. Wasted.
Cheesyleps wrote:

Did you not see them spend 10 minutes going frame by frame over the arsenal penalty to see whether his leg made slight contact with agnonlahor's calf before he won the ball? Joke.

Don't get me wrong, it's a level above ITV but can still be very poor.

I'd love to hear Lineker's views on things now and again. We're talking about a highly decorated footballer with huge experience of the game and he very rarely does anything but introduce the games. Wasted.

Not really, Lineker is a personality and not a pundit. Just because he played the game does not mean he could analyse. You only have to listen to some of the clowns on ITV and Talksport to realise that.
Bally wrote:

Not really, Lineker is a personality and not a pundit. Just because he played the game does not mean he could analyse. You only have to listen to some of the clowns on ITV and Talksport to realise that.

I get that, but like you say, could he be any worse than some of the clowns they get on? At least I respect him as a player. I mean Robbie Savage? Really? Not only was he crap his voice makes me want to strangle him every time he talks.
I remember Gary well from his season at Everton 85_86. He didn't do well in interviews then. His best bet is sticking to a cue carded script.
I quite like Lineker. I bet he can discuss tactics, etc as good as any of the others but that's not his job. His job is simply to let Hansen, Shearer and co do that. He does a good job even if it is quirky script writing shite at times.