Having been involved in Blackpool FC on the internet since it first started, I hope and pray that this board takes off and that if it does, it self-regulates itself to stop itself becoming the drivel that AVFTT has become...

It can only do this in one way really - YOU (we) have to simply rise above the numpties who post rubbish, drivel and insults. If you don;t respond to their garbage, they'll get bored and go away.

Over the years, I've run websites, boards and mailing lists. I almost made some money out of doing it once! The original Seasiders Mailing List is still going at http://groups.google.com/group/seasiders - but it's a lot quieter than it used to be.

Twitter for me is the way forward - it seems to be a good way to share views and information, and is very simple to not follow people who are out to antagonise... it would be good to see some sort of integration between this board and twitter somehow...

When my forum started off, as soon as we saw a bad remark it was edited/deleted, not that we ever had much of a problem, but now no-one tries it on ... there's almost no moderation work to be done in members postings.

Just simple rules like:

* No insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts towards any other member of the forum.

* This forum is a family forum, open to all ages; therefore posts need to be respectful (language decency).

* Gentle banter is of very welcome, but being a real nuisance/pest to other members is not

* Discrimination - in the form of a general attitude towards an individual or group of people - is not tolerated on this forum

* Commercial advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed (unfortunately you'll probably get Chinese floggers at some point!!)

** Listen to fans of other teams, don't lynch them - they've made the effort to get here, so make their lives comfortable please!

... will give you leverage to root out any troublemakers
Hopefully the 'report' button at the bottom of every post will be enough for self regulation.

If any one user gets reported often enough and they are found to breach the communities rules, they're gone.
Going to reply here because it's not worth making a separate thread...but how about user suggestions to improve the site?

It seems to work fine on mobile devices, although an even simpler format would be faster, and I like the email subscription.

I especially like the option to hide avatars and signatures... they might be witty but they clutter up the real content.

One thing that I would REALLY like is some sort of "office" mode, sort of Google-like plainish text where the colours are stripped off and the logo at the top, maybe even the borders as well, so that anyone casually glancing at your screen would think you were on a search engine or app or something, rather than reading a Blackpool FC message board - the tangerine is a dead give-away!

[hr]

Actually, just spotted the "lite (archive) mode" which does just that, but it needs the ability to post/reply![hr]

Also, I've set up http://go.to/bhs - jumps straight to the lite mode, ideal for checking on your smartphone...

Thanks for those comments TT. There is a feedback section so normally would post things in there. At the moment, we are not moderating too strongly in terms of moving topics to the correct section but will be doing.

The Steed is the man in terms of web design, I wouldn't have a clue. I am sure he will reply in due course.
seasider wrote:

Thanks for those comments TT. There is a feedback section so normally would post things in there. At the moment, we are not moderating too strongly in terms of moving topics to the correct section but will be doing.

The Steed is the man in terms of web design, I wouldn't have a clue. I am sure he will reply in due course.

Moving things into different forums and finding which forum to post in can be a bit of a pain - I know it's done with the best intentions, but try not to make too many different areas... the feedback might, for example, be better as a sticky at the top of the main forum, then people would all see and know where to post suggestions...
I'd second the sticky idea. On and off topic folders are very welcome but too many sub folders can make it confusing if people are just generally browsing.
Also need to widen or fix the width of the username box and/or reduce the font size and limit the name length or wrap/truncate it... my longer username makes the thread look messy!
You're on your own now Steve... ;)
hurrah... Free from avftt
Welcome Daddy