Thomas Hitzlsperger has become the most high-profile footballer to come out, announcing on Wednesday that he is gay. The former Aston Villa, West Ham and Everton player has given a long interview to the German paper Die Zeit, in which he says that he is talking about his sexuality because he wants "to further the debate about homosexuality among sports professionals".

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/08/thomas-hitzlsperger-gay-announces-homosexual
Not sure what there is to debate. If you are a gay, well then you're gay. It shouldn't affect their sport whatsoever. It's definitely harder though with football though due to the nature of the crowds and social media won't help as it allows for direct abuse.
Will his autobiography be called "Mein Camp"

Just a thought;)
How did coming out effect you Q?
tangerine77 wrote:

How did coming out effect you Q?

First I was affraid. I was petrified.
At least it meant you got to your dangly earrings in public.
Who will be the first BHS poster to come out ?
FY4MIKEH wrote:

Who will be the first BHS poster to come out ?

Wasn't someone on here at the start who was getting married to another man. I don't know why this makes the news it's 2014.
I tend to agree. The more they make a big deal out of it such as Hitzlsperger and Tom Daly, the more abnormal it seems if you get my drift. Perhaps, I am wrong and I don't appreciate how difficult it must be. I am like you though Ger, just get on with it without the need for national coverage!
blackpool ger wrote:

Wasn't someone on here at the start who was getting married to another man. I don't know why this makes the news it's 2014.

Rocky the uphill gardener, his user name on here is slickgardens.
Can't remember where I saw it now but I read somewhere the other day, somebody said that "we're not born gay, we chose to be gay". Ignorant tosser.
Lancashirehotpot wrote:

Can't remember where I saw it now but I read somewhere the other day, somebody said that "we're not born gay, we chose to be gay". Ignorant tosser.

Evander Holyfield?
Could well be Ger, that rings a bell.

Hahaha! Just realised what I said!
I doubt Ince would have signed him if he had come out earlier... Graeme Le Saux and Paul Ince.

Slick gardens, what happened to him ?
FY4MIKEH wrote:

Slick gardens, what happened to him ?

I wonder if it went arse up between him and his man:)
blackpool ger wrote:

I wonder if it went arse up between him and his man:)

He couldn't take it anymore ;)
I feel quite happy myself.
Its not really surprising that so few sportsmen come out, It is still a hard thing to do, even in this day and age and is also an easy target for jokes, as proved in this thread. Imagine the size of a football crowd and it only takes a very small majority of fans to make it very unpleasant.
I once saw a school teacher holding hands with an iconic Blackpool fan at Broomfield Road. Most noticeable as they were wearing pastel onesies.
Prescum Nob End have announced they've just signed midfielder Thomas Hitzelsperger.

Manager Simon Grayson said "He should fit in perfectly as he' s used to having arseholes in front of him and pricks behind".
Qblock87 wrote:

Prescum Nob End have announced they've just signed midfielder Thomas Hitzelsperger.

Manager Simon Grayson said "He should fit in perfectly as he' s used to having arseholes in front of him and pricks behind".

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
seasider wrote:

Not sure what there is to debate. If you are a gay, well then you're gay. It shouldn't affect their sport whatsoever. It's definitely harder though with football though due to the nature of the crowds and social media won't help as it allows for direct abuse.

Can't find any sympathy for anyone on twatter who gets abuse. Famous people know what they're open to when they sign up to the dog shite place, then moan about getting abuse.

The whole thing about being gay is such a non story in today's world.
It's a reflection on society that this is such 'big' news.

He couldn't win with this, much like Tom Daly ...if he kept quiet and the papers found out it would be splashed (;)) all over them and he would have been made to look ashamed of the fact and by announcing it some are saying why?

Robbie Fowler said on Football Focus today that he thought gay players would have no trouble from today's terraces....sadly I don't share his thoughts on this.
Really? Most of us on the terraces couldn't give a flying feck whether someone is gay/straight/LGBT with pink spots...

The only people who seem to be bothered are gay people and the press!!

If people started publicy declaring their 'straightness' I would imagine the gay rights groups would be up in arms for insinuating somehow being straight was in some way superior to being gay...
Ragnarok wrote:

Really? Most of us on the terraces couldn't give a flying feck whether someone is gay/straight/LGBT with pink spots...

The only people who seem to be bothered are gay people and the press!!

If people started publicy declaring their 'straightness' I would imagine the gay rights groups would be up in arms for insinuating somehow being straight was in some way superior to being gay...

I'm sure that's true,Ragnarok, but there will always be a minority.