members do not see advertisements

Musings On The Past 24 Hours

By Windridge in

Blackpool FC

8 months ago
RE: Musings On The Past 24 Hours
By Windridge 8 months ago
One can certainly say that life is certainly far from dull beside the seaside for fans of Blackpool Football Club.

Unfortunately, most of the events taking place at the club have been off the pitch rather than on it and recently there have been more ups and downs, twists and turns, than on the Big Dipper a mere 10 minutes or so from Bloomfield Road.

The latest episode has seen club owner Owen Oyston seemingly gamble on an 'all or nothing' super loan which he believes will enable him to keep control of the club he has been at the helm of for 30 years (30 years of hurt, to ad lib 'Three Lions'). This loan, he hopes, will keep Valeri Belokon from his door and be a final middle finger raised to the long suffering fans of Blackpool Football Club.

We have been led to believe that this super loan will cost Owen circa £375k a month, which begs the question who has lent/is lending him this money and what collateral is this backed against? Owen is believed to be struggling for money, yet he can raise enough for a super loan from an unknown source that will pay Valeri off?

Something is clearly not right here - banks and lenders have to be extremely careful when giving loans or agreeing large scale transactions of this magnitude. Let us not forget the now collapsed London Scottish which agreed the ill-fated MUNTO agreement to buy out Notts. County nearly 10 years ago.

It would be possible for somebody like Citibank to loan Owen a £30m loan, and former Cardiff City chairman Sam Hamamm managed to buy the Bluebirds out as part of this loan during his takeover of them in 2000 (the total cost for buying the then Ninian Park club was £4.5m). However, when Citibank wanted their money back, they had to immediately raise cash and Robert Earnshaw was sold during the space of 24 hours to West Bromwich Albion in 2004. A year later, Cardiff City had to similarly sacrifice key players Danny Gabbidon, Graham Kavanagh and James Collins for cash payments in order to avoid Citibank closing the club down.

If Citibank, or a similar bank, has loaned Owen this money then what stipulations have been set apart from this mammoth monthly repayment? Also, what money/collateral will be needed to meet these demands - is he prepared to sell off everything just to keep hold of Blackpool Football Club including his family and friends who should be the people which mean the most to him?

Maybe Karl, Sam, George, Natalie and Heidi will all soon sympathise with how thousands of Blackpool fans have felt over the years and come round to their senses accepting that he is as vile and repugnant as fans have been saying as far back as the 1990s.

On the flip side, they now all have raison d'etre to push the senile old rapist under the bus and surely they must have a few tales to tell which Owen would rather keep quiet. HMRC are also certain to add to Owen's troubles as well, in the near future.

With almost everybody against him, he expects to run a professional football club with an ever diminishing crowd and a manager whose loyalty to the club defies both logic and expectation. Add in players who would struggle to make it to the bench of most League 1 sides, and we have a team which is heading for disaster.

If Valeri is paid off in full, what then? Will he still challenge Owen for ownership of the club or will he simply take what is owed and we will have to accept that going into the 2018-19 season that we still have Oyston ownership of our once proud club?

NAPM is a noble thing, but until we get into a Darlington type situation (where they completely collapsed, as a result of George Reynolds' ownership) perhaps there is not much we can do - writing letters and protesting is fine but the end result has to be the physical removal of Owen Oyston from the club.

If the EFL and HM Courts etc. cannot do that, then we really are in a 'diddly of a pickle' to paraphrase Ned Flanders.
By Leesthedaddy 8 months ago
Nice post
By daveysue 8 months ago
Great post, lucid and explains the situation perfectly. OYSTONS OUT!
By klubb29 8 months ago
2 choices here

1.he doesn't have the cash cannot or will not sell assets so has to borrow the cash

2. The cash is overseas and he lends himself the cash through a 3rd party but fears the HMRC sniffing around

All my opinion but if he had the cash I think he would have paid by now.

All we can do is sit back and enjoy the show
Many thanks to everybody who has replied so far.

Ironically, whilst watching the following video of the ill-fated MUNTO deal for Notts. County, the name 'Russell King' stuck in my mind.

A British 'businessman' based in Dubai.

Surely it couldn't be... However, with the Oyston's....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjbAKN-woBA
Addendum:

It would appear that Thursday 22nd February 2018 will be as important a date as Saturday 2nd May 1953 in the history of Blackpool Football Club.

This is the date which willl seal our destiny as a club for the next five years, as one way or another we will know just how long Owen Oyston is to remain at the helm of the club. Were this an Oystonxit referendum, it would be 100% for him to leave.

However, nothing is ever simple and straightforward with Owen - just when you think you have gotten rid of him he lingers on somehow. Like the turd that just will not flush, he is desperate to hang on at all costs, and should this loan be signed, sealed and delivered it will mean that he has beaten Valeri Belokon and he will stay in situ at Bloomfield Road - having lost his family, cashed in on almost all of his assets and watching the crowd attendance dwindle to an amount on par with the Northern Premier League.

Whilst there will be protests and anger aimed at Owen, if he survives his show down with Valeri, it will be for the FA to decide on what (if any) action to take against him.

What then for Season 2018-19? Possibly in League Two with a ropey pre-season and no quality opposition like a Wolves/Derby/Huddersfield/Sheffield United etc. visiting Bloomfield Road for a friendly which would add sufficient revenue to the club under normal (non-Oyston) circumstances. Add in a team made up of free transfers, cheap signings and loanees with hardly any chemistry and we'd do well to finish 22nd!

Just when you thought you'd bitten your cuticles enough!
By Rimm-BFC 8 months ago
To be perfectly honest, the footballing side of things has no interest to me, which is a very sad position to be in. I have no affinity with the club whatsoever, to the point of not even knowing team members (hence I do not take part in the prediction league any more) or who we are playing each week.

This position remains until Oyston has has gone - however long that takes. I just hope this is resolved sooner rather than later for the sake of everyone, but I am not holding my breath. I do fear that too much damage has already been done and a lot of rebuilding (fanbase etc) will be required once the club rid of the Oystons. :(

#NAPM
By munkle 8 months ago
Rimm-BFC wrote:

To be perfectly honest, the footballing side of things has no interest to me, which is a very sad position to be in. I have no affinity with the club whatsoever, to the point of not even knowing team members (hence I do not take part in the prediction league any more) or who we are playing each week.

This position remains until Oyston has has gone - however long that takes. I just hope this is resolved sooner rather than later for the sake of everyone, but I am not holding my breath. I do fear that too much damage has already been done and a lot of rebuilding (fanbase etc) will be required once the club rid of the Oystons. :(

#NAPM

Agreed. It’s now the politics that keep me involved. It’s very sad that it’s come to this but hey ho.
By rangers1945 8 months ago
As I watch this drama play out [and for how long] I am reminded of the school boys we all knew who would say "it's mine and your not having any"

Sorry if this sounds trivial but the whole thing is now beyond a joke