members do not see advertisements

The lion is hungry

By TheSuffolkSeasider in

General Football

5 months ago
RE: The lion is hungry
By TheSuffolkSeasider 5 months ago
So Zlatan Ibrahimovic has joined LA Galaxy.

Surely, if he stays fit and copes with all the travel, he will score for fun. Well, if the players can get him the ball, I don't really know if the rest of the squad are that good!

Is USA and the MLS still the easy choice for aging players?
By seanmacca100 5 months ago
Obviously it's a good place for a pay packet but with the wage caps you can only get a couple pet team of that sort of quality.

Tbf the standard is increasing, a fair few good young players coming through, a lot of South American talents switching from the South to the North the now.

First ever LA derby tonight I believe he's making his debut.
By seasider 5 months ago
Money and lifestyle, who can blame players for going to the US. It would be good if one player just admitted that rather than the bullshit about competition and passion.

Didn't realise Ashley Cole was playing in the US until he popped up in an interview the other day.
Can any of our American based members equate what level the MLS is in comparison to the English league pyramid? I'd guess myself at somewhere around Championship, with the odd star player like Zlatan skewing it a bit.

The money and the lifestyle would be nice, but you'd have to put up with a lot of airports and flights! Must be pretty tedious. Well, more so for those players not on the big bucks.

Ashley Cole will be in the same team as Zlatan, seasider!
By GynnSquarePhoenix 5 months ago
The MLS is shit because there it's a closed shop. No promotion, no relegation, stupid playoff system to decide the league winner, so once the playoff teams are decided all games become pointless. I've tried and given up.

They bring in big euro or latin players for a season or two, sell a shit load of merch to kids and sell a few extra tickets from fans who want to see the big name in the flesh.

Mid level championship is when it's good, league one most of the time. James Guy has been supporting DC for a few years and really enjoys the day out, but even he would rather watch with everything to play for.
Zlatan begins his LA career on the bench!
He's been injured and they'll throw him on for a few minutes at some point.
Just netted what is surely the winner
Not easy to alter the sign, takes planning and a lot of effort. Photoshop.

His first goal was a nice strike, even if there was arguably a foul moments before. Definitely offside for that winner.
By Bally 5 months ago
TheSuffolkSeasider wrote:

His first goal was a nice strike, even if there was arguably a foul moments before. Definitely offside for that winner.

The yanks probably use different rules in their Soccer World Series.
By KoreanHammer 5 months ago
Bally wrote:

The yanks probably use different rules in their Soccer World Series.

i know you joke, but actually used to but now standard FIFA rule.
By North Shore Dude 5 months ago
Zlatan Ibrahimovic INSANE 40 Yard Debut Goal for LA Galaxy!

By AmericanTangerine 5 months ago
I'm gonna have to agree with GSP on this one.

MLS is top tier League 1 at worst, mid-level championship at best.

It's getting better, but there are still so many systematic problems with the league (like no promotion and relegation).
AmericanTangerine wrote:

I'm gonna have to agree with GSP on this one.

MLS is top tier League 1 at worst, mid-level championship at best.

It's getting better, but there are still so many systematic problems with the league (like no promotion and relegation).

Its impossible to have pro rel here.
By Bally 5 months ago
Why?
By tangerine77 5 months ago
The real Lions Millwall is a bigger story.
Zlatan scored the winner again for LA Galaxy. I think he suits being the biggest cock in the roost.
Bally wrote:

Why?

The massive financial cost of travel which can't be sustained by lower league teams.
By Bentent 5 months ago
KoreanHammer wrote:

The massive financial cost of travel which can't be sustained by lower league teams.

Baseball and the NFL manage travel be playing in regional divisions until the playoffs. It's not impossible, just another challenge. Phoenix will get in the MLS in the next expansion round. They've got a good setup and it's close to home, but I'm going to ignore it until they expand further with pro/rel.
GynnSquarePhoenix wrote:

Baseball and the NFL manage travel be playing in regional divisions until the playoffs. It's not impossible, just another challenge. Phoenix will get in the MLS in the next expansion round. They've got a good setup and it's close to home, but I'm going to ignore it until they expand further with pro/rel.

Baseball and NFL has far more money. Lower leagues in baseball are essentially all reserve teams for major league teams and are subsidized by major league teams.
Stuff like this happens at work from time to time. Someone says 'it's impossible' or 'can't be done' and I give my usual response .. Get the fuck out of the way so we can get on with it.