members do not see advertisements

Baked Beans

By whitstabletangerine in

General Chat

5 months ago
RE: Baked Beans
By whitstabletangerine 5 months ago
For decades I have enjoyed the occasional beans on toast and always Heinz, but recently found they just don't taste the same, perhaps reduction in salt or sugar from previous production runs.

Anyway tonight tried Branston and was pleasantly surprised, hence wondered if any other BEAN eaters have any other brands to recommend, always interested to find other alternatives.
By Bally 5 months ago
By TheSuffolkSeasider 5 months ago
whitstabletangerine wrote:

For decades I have enjoyed the occasional beans on toast and always Heinz, but recently found they just don't taste the same, perhaps reduction in salt or sugar from previous production runs.

Anyway tonight tried Branston and was pleasantly surprised, hence wondered if any other BEAN eaters have any other brands to recommend, always interested to find other alternatives.

As one of those who just buys whatever is on offer, there is definitely a wide variety in taste for what is all simply described as "baked beans in tomato sauce". I mean, have you ever tried those full breakfasts in a can? It's not just the beans that taste funny in those! Branston ones are good, but they seem rarer to find and tend to be more expensive. I go for the blue Tescos ones as they are pretty good overall and decently priced. They seem to taste better than the other supermarket brands of beans.

Can't beat a can of beans and sausages!
By thetruth1953 5 months ago
Aldi beans for me.
By Qblock87 5 months ago
From now on Whits I will always think of you as Mr. Bean!
By munkle 5 months ago
Branston are much better than Heinz - I’ve been on them for years.

I agree with the lack of salt but it’s everywhere.

The missus and I try the local Big Mac meal wherever we are in the the world. So far, Mexico wins followed by Dubai. Two countries unafraid to jack up their salt content.
By Qblock87 5 months ago
The trouble with Branston though is they don’t have the convenient ring pull.
By Bally 5 months ago
All Beans affect the ring
munkle wrote:

Branston are much better than Heinz - I’ve been on them for years.

I agree with the lack of salt but it’s everywhere.

The missus and I try the local Big Mac meal wherever we are in the the world. So far, Mexico wins followed by Dubai. Two countries unafraid to jack up their salt content.

On Big Macs, ours must be one of the worst. They're tiny, flat things.
By GynnSquarePhoenix 5 months ago
I missed Heinz and Cross & Blackwell beans for a decade or so. The best beans over here now are Bush's. Mostly over seasoned with brown sugar and bacon or maple. However their vegetarian option is perfect, not too sweet or sticky with loads of flavour. I can now get Heinz and from The Codfather, a Phoenix chippy and English market and tried them last year. Lacking in flavour and beans seemed hard to me.

Options ...

By whitstabletangerine 5 months ago
The very best baked beans I have ever tasted were in Sonny's BBQ restaurant in Florida, they were just delicious.
By rangers1945 5 months ago
Try Home Bargains for offers on Branstons
By Lancashirehotpot 5 months ago
rangers1945 wrote:

Try Home Bargains for offers on Branstons

4 for £1, I believe. 3 for £1 in B&M.
Home bargains and B&M have only just made it to Ipswich these past couple of years :D
whitstabletangerine wrote:

The very best baked beans I have ever tasted were in Sonny's BBQ restaurant in Florida, they were just delicious.

That's the ticket. Family run BBQ houses or a good traditional Mexican pot of refried beans or pintos are superior to anything the shops sell.
By Magic147 5 months ago
Lancashirehotpot wrote:

4 for £1, I believe. 3 for £1 in B&M.

4 beans for £1?

Terrible value.
By rangers1945 5 months ago
TheSuffolkSeasider wrote:

Home bargains and B&M have only just made it to Ipswich these past couple of years :D

and here was me thinking it was the North was neglected!!!!!!

PS I know Suffolk is not really South
By Lancashirehotpot 5 months ago
Magic147 wrote:

4 beans for £1?

Terrible value.

I know! I've emailed their head office.