members do not see advertisements
members do not see advertisements

2026 WORLD CUP

By whitstabletangerine in

General Football


4 months ago
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By whitstabletangerine 4 months ago
In three countries, America, Canada and Mexico
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By Lincolnshireseasider91 4 months ago
Only 3 teams guaranteed a automatic World Cup place from concacaf and one play off, assuming all these 3 will get automatic qualification that only leaves 1 place from 32 other potential counties strange that
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By foggy 4 months ago
Lincolnshireseasider91 wrote:

Only 3 teams guaranteed a automatic World Cup place from concacaf and one play off, assuming all these 3 will get automatic qualification that only leaves 1 place from 32 other potential counties strange that





That's not right. 6 teams will qualify with potentially one more through a playoff. 3 of those teams will be USA/Mexico/Canada.



That means 3.5 spots to play for from the dregs of the rest of CONCACAF. Most of those 32 you mentioned are tiny islands. Presumably Costa Rica will qualify very easily leaving two more spots to fight for from very weak teams (to go with Canada already there).
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By SmokinPool 4 months ago
I think FIFA are upping the entrants to the Finals competition to 48.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By thetruth1953 4 months ago
There'll be a few air miles earned following your team round that land mass.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By Magic147 4 months ago
Oooh I'm going to try to get over for this.



We could couple it up with a NATA meet!
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By GynnSquarePhoenix 4 months ago
USA just qualified for a World Cup. Get in.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By Rossall Tangerine 4 months ago
2022: small bit of desert.

2026: entire continent.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By thetruth1953 4 months ago
Rossall Tangerine wrote:

2022: small bit of desert.

2026: entire continent.





Both choices corrupt.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By Qblock87 4 months ago
Its bollocks.. USA had it in 1994. We’ve not hosted it since 1966 ffs.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By GynnSquarePhoenix 4 months ago
It's also insane due to the size of Canada, USA and Mexico. Not getting into when Trump gets elected for a 2nd term, 2020-24 we will probably have walls, machine gun posts and shoot-to-kill drones on both borders and will not allow any dark-skinned players to enter the country.



This is the last nation I would have given it to right now.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By whitstabletangerine 4 months ago
Qblock87 wrote:

Its bollocks.. USA had it in 1994. We’ve not hosted it since 1966 ffs.





I am not all together sure Q that we bid for it although I understand we look good for a bid for 2030.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By Qblock87 4 months ago
whitstabletangerine wrote:



I am not all together sure Q that we bid for it although I understand we look good for a bid for 2030.





With all due respect Whits we’ll probably be pushing up daisies then me old Mucker.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By GynnSquarePhoenix 4 months ago
England will be a post-brexit, 3rd world country by 2030. Not enough revenue for FIFA.



The 3 nation north america bid is all about selling t-shirts to a base of 490 million people.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By whitstabletangerine 4 months ago
Will they be tariff free? the ones going over the wall and across the DEW line.



Q dear friend it will not be daises, cremation and ashes over the North Downs.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By foggy 4 months ago
Yeah in 2026 it can't be a team in Europe or Asia, as those continents had it in 2018/22. That leaves South America, Africa and North America (Oceania isn't realistic it seems). I dont really have a problem with this United bid winning, they only had one competitor to beat in Morocco anyway, and Africa had a World Cup more recently than North America.



England are probably going to be bidding for the 2030 World Cup, but they'll be up against Uruguay. It would be 100 years after Uruguay hosted (and won) the inaugural World Cup, so it would be nice for them to get it and that's a really strong case, so I think they'd be favourites. I'd rather England go for 2034 when we probably have more chance.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By GynnSquarePhoenix 4 months ago
2026 format changes :

The 48 teams will be divided into 16 groups of three. The top two teams in each group will progress to a new knock-out phase of 32. It means that 16 teams will go home after playing just two matches, and critics have argued that a format featuring groups comprised of three teams is likely to be very unbalanced.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By Rossall Tangerine 4 months ago
GynnSquarePhoenix wrote:

2026 format changes :

The 48 teams will be divided into 16 groups of three. The top two teams in each group will progress to a new knock-out phase of 32. It means that 16 teams will go home after playing just two matches, and critics have argued that a format featuring groups comprised of three teams is likely to be very unbalanced.





One of the best parts of the WC is the drama of the last two group games being played concurrently. Obviously that isn't possible with groups of 3. Absolute madness.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By GynnSquarePhoenix 4 months ago
Rossall Tangerine wrote:



One of the best parts of the WC is the drama of the last two group games being played concurrently. Obviously that isn't possible with groups of 3. Absolute madness.





Agreed..also susceptible to manipulation ...



If we draw this final match, we both go through and 'they' finish third and go out, why risk losing.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By SmokinPool 4 months ago
foggy wrote:

Yeah in 2026 it can't be a team in Europe or Asia, as those continents had it in 2018/22. That leaves South America, Africa and North America (Oceania isn't realistic it seems). I dont really have a problem with this United bid winning, they only had one competitor to beat in Morocco anyway, and Africa had a World Cup more recently than North America.



England are probably going to be bidding for the 2030 World Cup, but they'll be up against Uruguay. It would be 100 years after Uruguay hosted (and won) the inaugural World Cup, so it would be nice for them to get it and that's a really strong case, so I think they'd be favourites. I'd rather England go for 2034 when we probably have more chance.





Uruguay would have to go on a massive stadium build if so, as most of their teams play in Montevideo. Maybe a joint bid with Argentina. That would be fun! Hold on to your gaucho hats!
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By foggy 4 months ago
SmokinPool wrote:



Uruguay would have to go on a massive stadium build if so, as most of their teams play in Montevideo. Maybe a joint bid with Argentina. That would be fun! Hold on to your gaucho hats!





It's actually another three-way bid with Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay. No country has a stadium of the required 80,000 capacity for the final but it seems like they want to upgrade Estadio Centenario in Uruguay to reach the capacity. It hosted the 1930 World Cup Final so if they're bringing it back to Uruguay surely they have to do the final there again if they can expand it.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By Hero-of-the-night 4 months ago
Argentina would be good. I’d definitely go to watch the World Cup there!

Argentina v England in a knockout game over there.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By Magic147 4 months ago
Sounds a bit stabby.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By North Shore Dude 4 months ago
Hero-of-the-night wrote:

Argentina would be good. I’d definitely go to watch the World Cup there!

Argentina v England in a knockout game over there.





The winner gets to keep the Islas Malvinas
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By Hero-of-the-night 4 months ago
North Shore Dude wrote:



The winner gets to keep the Islas Malvinas





Nah, the island is ours.
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By TheSuffolkSeasider 4 months ago
I don't see England ever getting a World Cup on its own again. The best chance we have is a British bid, but even then I see that as being unlikely in my generation - never mind most of your lot's lives!
RE: 2026 WORLD CUP
By thetruth1953 4 months ago
TheSuffolkSeasider wrote:

I don't see England ever getting a World Cup on its own again. The best chance we have is a British bid, but even then I see that as being unlikely in my generation - never mind most of your lot's lives!



Depends how big our brown envelope is.
members do not see advertisements