members do not see advertisements

Southgate

By seasider in

General Football

2 months ago
RE: Southgate
By seasider 2 months ago
Best England manager since Bobby Robson?

I could watch this all day...

https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/1015648139720601600?s=09
By TomPNE 2 months ago
Most loved since Robson, certainly not the most tactically astute but that will come with experience. Got his subs drastically wrong last night.

What a bloke though, can see him being in charge for a long time.
By Hero-of-the-night 2 months ago
TomPNE wrote:

Most loved since Robson, certainly not the most tactically astute but that will come with experience. Got his subs drastically wrong last night.

One thing this young side needs is consistency!

I’ll make my judgement on them after the next Euro’s, we need to be making the semi finals at least to show we are progressing.
By tangerinejezza 2 months ago
TomPNE wrote:

I hope he is. Consistency is what the national side needs. Most of the team is under 25 , so they can be a formidable side by 2022. But as we know from previous years, that doesn’t always happen.
By TomPNE 2 months ago
I’m fairly sure the FA appointed him as he’s worked with a lot of the youth teams that are now winning trophies and knows a lot of those players. If we manage those players right we have the potential to dominate international football for a few years.
By Hero-of-the-night 2 months ago
TomPNE wrote:

I’m fairly sure the FA appointed him as he’s worked with a lot of the youth teams that are now winning trophies and knows a lot of those players. If we manage those players right we have the potential to dominate international football for a few years.

Dominate is a little on the optimistic side.
By TomPNE 2 months ago
Hero-of-the-night wrote:

Dominate is a little on the optimistic side.

The potential is there to do it, whether we will or not is another matter.
By seasider 2 months ago
TomPNE wrote:

The potential is there to do it, whether we will or not is another matter.

We will need different players to win a world cup, nevermind dominate. Even at their maximum potential, they won't be good enough in my opinion.

I think the acid test will be the next generation like Foden, Mount, etc.
By TomPNE 2 months ago
seasider wrote:

We will different players to win a world cup, nevermind dominate. Even at their maximum potential, they won't be good enough in my opinion.

I think the acid test will be the next generation like Foden, Mount, etc.

That's what I meant. the u20's and the u17's who both were the best team in the world at their age group last summer.
By foggy 2 months ago
The issue I think is what are our expectations for 2022? Is it now a case of anything less than a semi final will be deemed a failure? I think we'll all have some disappointment if we were to 'only' reach a QF but in reality that would probably be a good result. We will still be quite a bit behind the top teams, and if we were to face someone like France or Spain in a second round we could get beat, and there would be no shame in that, but it would certainly feel a step back.

My personal hope is that Southgate comes along tactically. He's still young and inexperienced managing at the top level. I think the way he has changed the culture has been amazing, and he's thrust us into modern football by playing better football and passing it from the back in a progressive formation. The players look like they want to get on the ball and play. At previous tournaments, it just looked like everybody was terrified of making a mistake. But he still messed up with his substitions, and his ability to affect the game when it got tough looked lacking. He needs to develop more in game management, and make sure he doesn't become stubborn in only playing the 352.

All in all, we have a lot to be excited about. To come all this way from that abysmal performance in South Africa is more than I could have asked for. Now we have to hope our talented young players develop and step up. Thankfully, we have a wide range of quality prospects. They aren't all going to make it, perhaps only a select few will, but the more young players we have the more chances we have at one of them becoming a star. Previously we were focused on one or two players at a time - Jack Wikshere, Daniel Sturridge, Theo Walcott etc. Now we have a wider pool and more opportunity for one or two of them to break through.
By seasider 2 months ago
Southgate has built some great foundations and given the England side a chance. Getting the fans on board is so important and he has managed to do this.

Southgate will know we need to improve and getting to the semi finals was quite lucky if being honest due to the nature of the draw We only had one more shot on target in open play than Panama. This team is not that special and we would be better off accepting that rather than thinking we are something that we are not. That will set off the false expectations that previous teams suffered from.
By foggy 2 months ago
seasider wrote:

Southgate has built some great foundations and given the England side a chance. Getting the fans on board is so important and he has managed to do this.

Southgate will know we need to improve and getting to the semi finals was quite lucky if being honest due to the nature of the draw We only had one more shot on target in open play than Panama. This team is not that special and we would be better off accepting that rather than thinking we are something that we are not. That will set off the false expectations that previous teams suffered from.

Yep, I think we have a good overall team, but just lacking in top level players. Although having said that I think the likes of Pickford, Trippier and maybe even Stones/Maguire have been amongst the best in the tournament in their respective positions. We do desperately need a creative central midfielder. Southgate wants us to be able to control possession and tempo when we want to, we couldn't do that against Croatia, or Colombia to a certain extent. Lingard, Sterling and Ali are all runners, getting on the end of things and at times using speed and skill to beat defenders. We still need a playmaker to control the ball in the middle.