members do not see advertisements

Ban on heading in Football

By whitstabletangerine in

General Football

4 months ago
RE: Ban on heading in Football
By whitstabletangerine 4 months ago
Gone are the days when heading the football was akin to heading a lump of concrete, yes I am going back a few decades thankfully but now this;

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45110282
By seasider 4 months ago
Obviously safety is important but that would be a huge change. I think along with the greed and the less competitive nature of football, people will just start to lose interest.
By North Shore Dude 4 months ago
Didn't a Blackpool player die in hospital after heading a ball off the goal line?

Edit:

Peter Fairhurst, who unfortunately died in hospital after heading a heavy, rain-soaked ball during a league match.
continues after advertisement
By Magic147 4 months ago
What the fuck would you do at a corner?
By foggy 4 months ago
The immediate cry will be how health and safety has gone mad, it was better back in the day when men were men and they didn't care about getting hurt etc. But just look at the caption under that bottom image, Nobby Stiles has been suffering from dementia and Alzheimer's for 15 years. This is scary stuff. I think ways to make the sport safer need to be taken seriously and not dismissed out of hand. However, if adult men and women want to play football they should be allowed, they are consenting. I'm a fan of boxing, and that's obviously far more barbaric. The thing is, everyone in boxing knows getting punched in the head repeatedly clearly isn't very good for you. I'm not so sure the same is true about heading the ball. More research needs to be done and people need to be mature and understanding so everyone wanting to play football - whether amateur or professional - can be informed. Let people take the risk if they want to, but at least get the information out there so they know what they are getting into. People hysterically shouting about the PC brigade ruining the game won't help anything.
Magic147 wrote:

What the fuck would you do at a corner?

Take a short corner, something I detest, much rather see the ball lobbed into the penalty area and watch the melee that follows or a rather spectacular own goal, or better still a defender coming up and yes Heading it in.
By seasider 4 months ago
foggy wrote:

The immediate cry will be how health and safety has gone mad, it was better back in the day when men were men and they didn't care about getting hurt etc. But just look at the caption under that bottom image, Nobby Stiles has been suffering from dementia and Alzheimer's for 15 years. This is scary stuff. I think ways to make the sport safer need to be taken seriously and not dismissed out of hand. However, if adult men and women want to play football they should be allowed, they are consenting. I'm a fan of boxing, and that's obviously far more barbaric. The thing is, everyone in boxing knows getting punched in the head repeatedly clearly isn't very good for you. I'm not so sure the same is true about heading the ball. More research needs to be done and people need to be mature and understanding so everyone wanting to play football - whether amateur or professional - can be informed. Let people take the risk if they want to, but at least get the information out there so they know what they are getting into. People hysterically shouting about the PC brigade ruining the game won't help anything.

Well it would ruin the game wouldn't it unless they can find some protective head gear?
Rather like they did in cricket?
By seasider 4 months ago
It would have to be something that still enabled you to head the ball properly. Safety is obviously top priority but football without heading would be weird.
By Magic147 4 months ago
whitstabletangerine wrote:

Take a short corner, something I detest, much rather see the ball lobbed into the penalty area and watch the melee that follows or a rather spectacular own goal, or better still a defender coming up and yes Heading it in.

There would certainly be a goalmouth scramble at every corner if nobody could head the ball.
By seasider 4 months ago
Replace heading with handling. My only other suggestion is replace the current ball with one of those spongy balls.
By rangers1945 4 months ago
Yes this is a frightening disease, have seen too many friends suffering. Not all were footballers but it seems to have been proved that heading does not help. All sports have injuries, many serious, but dementia is horrible.

Like many on here however I wonder how we change, it can't be all walking football.

A point however, does anyone else think that there is more heading now than there has been for a long time, or am I looking for it?
By foggy 4 months ago
seasider wrote:

Well it would ruin the game wouldn't it unless they can find some protective head gear?

Well Im saying you wouldn't have to change the game, just educate people more so everyone knows what they are consenting to, and then figure everything else you can do such as concussion protocols, free extra subs for head injuries etc.

What the hell you do with the kids game though, is another matter...
continues after advertisement
By seasider 4 months ago
foggy wrote:

Well Im saying you wouldn't have to change the game, just educate people more so everyone knows what they are consenting to, and then figure everything else you can do such as concussion protocols, free extra subs for head injuries etc.

What the hell you do with the kids game though, is another matter...

Tough one really. I guess we would need more scientific evidence. Good that they looking into it
By Magic147 4 months ago
I think they should ban everything other than heading.
By seasider 4 months ago
Magic147 wrote:

I think they should ban everything other than heading.

Picturing a lot of worm activity
By TheSuffolkSeasider 4 months ago
Didn't Shearer do a documentary on this not too long ago? Guess he has reason to be concerned!
By tangerinejezza 4 months ago
Doesn’t all this come from American throwball?

Wasn’t there a film about it. ?
By Hero-of-the-night 4 months ago
North Shore Dude wrote:

Didn't a Blackpool player die in hospital after heading a ball off the goal line?

Edit:

It was Horrice Fairhurst and it was a clashed of heads with a Barnsley player.... he died about 10 days later.

Circa 1914 ish.
By North Shore Dude 4 months ago
Hero-of-the-night wrote:

It was Horrice Fairhurst and it was a clashed of heads with a Barnsley player.... he died about 10 days later.

Circa 1914 ish.

Yes you are correct Hero

Trust the Gazette to get it wrong https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/early-days-in-the-football-league-1-367775
By foggy 4 months ago
tangerinejezza wrote:

Doesn’t all this come from American throwball?

Wasn’t there a film about it. ?

Yep. It was a big blockbuster.

Get it?
By Hero-of-the-night 4 months ago
North Shore Dude wrote:

Yes you are correct Hero

Trust the Gazette to get it wrong https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/early-days-in-the-football-league-1-367775

I know my club.
By Tangerinenick 4 months ago
Football is becoming shit.

No longer a working class sport

Stadiums with all the atmosphere of a B&Q

Players coached to death and zone marking

No loyalty

No contracts

No Holland cheese n onion pies