members do not see advertisements

20 yeears ago today 8th Aug 1998

By whitstabletangerine in

Blackpool FC

3 months ago
RE: 20 yeears ago today 8th Aug 1998
By whitstabletangerine 3 months ago
Our opening match of the season, away of course and pretty sure we had about 2,500 Blackpool fans in attendance, who against you ask, well Manchester City had been relegated to the third tier of English football and Worthington's Tangerine army headed east to Maine Road.

It had been some time since I saw such a large crowd for a Blackpool league match, the last one but not quite on this scale was the last match of the 78 season down at Brighton.

We came away well beaten, not the best place to be for a season opener but City were obviously determined to get straight back up and certainly looked class that day particularly Dickov who was outstanding.

Any others there that day?
By tangerine77 3 months ago
Can't believe that was 20 years ago. Think we had over 3000 there, whatever the away end held as it was full. Got stuffed 3-0.
Yes definitely outplayed , not a great start to the season for us.
By seasider 3 months ago
I was there. Remember going to Wigan away the following game and losing 3-0 again. They had David Lee who tore us apart.
By Qblock87 3 months ago
They put us in a temporary stand in the corner. It didn’t feel safe. Is it really 20 years ago.
The little stand without a roof between the big stand and the North stand?
By Qblock87 3 months ago
whitstabletangerine wrote:

The little stand without a roof between the big stand and the North stand?

That’s the one..I was right at the back of it and it felt like it was going to collapse at anytime.
By seasider 3 months ago
Think I was in the main away stand. City supporters were to the right of us I seem to remember.
There must have been 2 areas of Pool fans as iam sure we were upper tier behind the goal.
There must have been 2 areas of Pool fans as iam sure we were upper tier behind the goal.
By seasider 3 months ago
Was it like this?

Yes, there were city fans to my right, I was to the left of that stand next to the open part that Q said he was in and from memory not much of a gap between the City and Pool fans in the stand.
By Maunder 3 months ago
I was there that day, for some reason I remember it was when rice crispys were launching rice crispy squares and people were giving them out for free outside, I was sat in the bit without a roof even though we lost was a good day out getting to go what was recently a premier league ground