members do not see advertisements

England Squad to play Spain & Switzerland

By seasider in

General Football

3 weeks ago
RE: England Squad to play Spain & Switzerland
By seasider 3 weeks ago
Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Alex McCarthy (Southampton)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Harry Maguire (Leicester City) Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea)

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal)

I think generally people are disappointed with it as there are too many players included who are not playing for their club. I personally don't really care about that. The problem for me is that it doesn't go far enough in giving young talent a chance to impress. I was watching the debate last night and all three pundits reckon that Sancho should have been included. I had never heard of him but currently on loan at Dortmund. Other young players that were spoken about were Foden, Sancho, Cook, Maddison and Sessegnon and Grealish.
By Hero 3 weeks ago

‍definately need to use the young ones. 

By seasider 3 weeks ago

‍I agree.

I agree with some of thinking such as replacing Ashley Young as quite frankly that didn't work at the World Cup. However, what is the point in sticking with the players that we know will never advance England. What happened to only picking England players that are playing for club? This should never be a rule in my opinion so I have no problem with that but at the same time I can't see the benefit in picking someone like Delph over Grealish or Wellbeck over Sancho.

By TheSuffolkSeasider 3 weeks ago

‍ seems a bit right back heavy? 

By seasider 3 weeks ago

‍Well he sees Kyle Walker as a centre half doesn't he. I wish he would ditch this 5-3-2 crap. 

By Magic147 3 weeks ago
The 532 crap that got a very average group of players to a world cup semi final?
By GlasgowTangerine#1 3 weeks ago
we deserved to win the final----we were the best team--but the French won it---so respect to them
By Magic147 3 weeks ago
Right, who's pet username is this?

Time to make the big boy decision and put it down. 

By TheSuffolkSeasider 3 weeks ago
Magic147 wrote:Right, who's pet username is this?

Time to make the big boy decision and put it down. 

‍A lot of ellipsis, like previous twats.

By seasider 3 weeks ago
Magic147 wrote:The 532 crap that got a very average group of players to a world cup semi final?

‍I think most of England's previous teams would have got to the semi. The formation was found out against Croatia and our wing backs couldn't get out of our half.

I just prefer four at the back but that's just me.

By seasider 2 weeks ago

‍What team would like you see. Really struggling to pick a team with the midfielders that are in that squad especially now Sterling is injured.

4590ceffb0fa8181bbc5115029ebf36f.JPG

Perhaps would have Lallana instead of Rashford but clutching at straws there. Would normally have Rose but wouldn't be against Luke Shaw having a go. Used to like him as a left back but doesn't look as sharp following his injury.

I know Southgate will play 3 at the back to accommodate Maguire and Trippier but not a fan of that formation even though I like Maguire and Trippier as players. Would rather see us with a more attacking line up but we just haven't got the players in the centre of the park.

By TheSuffolkSeasider 2 weeks ago
It's not gonna be great to watch. 

Used the BBC combined team thing to show what I think Southgate will do. Not what I would do. Not sure about who he will put alongside Henderson, could be any of the remaining players but I just stuck in Loftus Cheek. 

Uninspiring, ay? 

35eae9149d9acfe76dbea037842a3503.png

By seasider 2 weeks ago

‍Even in a 5-3-2, not sure who the centre midfielders would be. Henderson and Delph? Really poor. 

By Jams80 2 weeks ago

Is Trippier injured?

Jams80 wrote:

Is Trippier injured?

‍He was a doubt for Spurs against Watford but played, so is probably nursing an injury and won't play for England.

By foggy 2 weeks ago

‍Danny I would say you should reconsider being against any one formation, surely it depends on the players, how they are instructed to play (as well as if they can actually do it), and the opposition? The numbers are quite arbitrary afterall, 5-3-2 is really 3-5-2, and even teams that play 4 at the back often drop a CDM into the defence as all fullbacks are expected to push up now. Look at Spurs as a good example, they apparently play 4 at the back quite a bit (although not in their last few games), but Rose/Davies and Tripper on either side get really high up the pitch, and Dembele or Dier drop into the back line to create a 3.

I think Southgate and Steve Holland probably looked at the team going into the WC and decided we didnt have two quality wingers to play up top, we only really have Sterling. Rashford isn't quite up to it yet, Lallana and Ox were obviously injured. You could play Ali or Lingard, but they'd be naturally cutting in quite a bit, and you might as well have them running from deep, plus with them cutting in it would be up to the wing back to provide the width to create space, so you'd still need to slip a CDM into a defensive 3 to cover.

I don't think Southgate is particularly dogmatic when it comes to one formation. There was a good article pre-WC in the Independent I think which described him and Holland's process in deciding on it, it was through trial and error and calculating their players' strengths and weaknesses. I think it's just as possible we play a 4-3-3 or something like that at the Euros than us sticking to 5-3-2.

Also, the assertion that previous England sides would just as easily get to the semi-finals doesn't really stand up. In 1998 England lost to Romania, in 2002 we drew with Sweden and Nigeria, we again drew with Sweden in 2006, in 2010 we drew with USA and Algeria, and of course in 2014 we picked up one miserable point to Costa Rica. English football history is littered with us thinking we are far superior but still failing to beat teams we should have done. And for some reason our fans forget that. I bet 2010's England squad, under a historically great manager in Capello, with Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry and others of the 'golden generation' would not have ground out that tough 2-1 win over Tunisia we earned this year. How do I know that? Well, just think back to that dreadful game against Algeria where we drew 0-0 and failed to create a single chance of note.

By seasider 2 weeks ago

‍Agree Foggy and it's certainly true that you play a system that suits the players. With a decent wing back, it would have helped but Young was disappointing at the World Cup which to be fair is not his natural position. 

I just think either with a 5-3-2, 3-5-2, 4-3-3, we are struggling in midfield in that holding position. Not sure why Southgate hasn't called up some young midfielders to give them a try. People are going on about that Maddison being a talent and there's also Grealish. Just don't see the benefit of having someone like Delph there as he won't be around at the next major tournament. Perhaps it's a loyal thing which is no bad trait but just wish he was a bit more adventurous. 

By foggy 2 weeks ago

‍Yeah you're right about Young tbf, but on the other side it did unlock Trippier, who was one of the best players in the tournament at that position. And if you play 4 at the back, you're still playing Young, at least he was more used to playing wingback for United.

I wouldn't worry about the young players, they're gonna get their chance. Don't forget we're talking about 18-20 year olds here. I think Southgate wanted to show some loyalty, a sort of 'getting the band back together' for the players that contributed so much to the WC success. Even a player like Delph gave decent minutes, and I'm sure all 23 contributed in their own way in the dressing room. I'd be excited to see someone like Jadon Sancho, because he's young and plays for Dortmund, so of course it's more exotic than Fabian Delph, but I'll be honest, I've never actually seen him play. And I bet most of the fans clamoring for the likes of Sancho, Foden, Mount etc haven't either, or they've only seen limited amounts anyway.

Im not worried about it because Southgate seems like a pretty progressive manager and I'm sure he's itching to integrate the young players, they are going to get their chance, and they will still be very young when they do. I do like his policy that there are no easy caps, and players will have to be playing to get call-ups. It's not that players cant come in and do a job right now, it's not about the individual squad selection for the upcoming games, it's about the knock-on effect that has in encouraging players in that 21-24 range to leave Chelsea reserves and move away. It's worked over the last few years. It's unprecedented how many talented young English players are going abroad - that never used to happen. Sancho, Patrick Roberts at Girona, Mount at Vitesse last year, Reiss Nelson who just went to Hoffenheim, Lookman at RBL, Reece Oxford at Monchengladbach...the list goes on. I think it's great for their progress and is very, very promising for the future of our national team.

By seasider 2 weeks ago

‍You make some good points. Perhaps I am over eager to see some new talent as I know the current crop will only get you so far. Like you say, they should be established at club level before winning a cap for England. 

Hopefully Germany can take more of the young talent because the likes of City and Chelsea will always pick ready made superstars.

It's weird watching England play on Sky. 

By seasider 2 weeks ago

‍ Starting line-ups..

England Team: Pickford, Trippier, Gomez, Stones, Maguire, Shaw, Henderson, Lingard, Alli, Rashford, Kane.

Spain Team: De Gea, Carvajal, Nacho, Ramos, Alonso, Saul Niguez, Busquets, Thiago Alcantara, Isco, Aspas, Rodrigo

By seasider 2 weeks ago

‍I just wonder if this tournament isn't going to help the youngsters. In friendlies, there is no risk in throwing in the likes of Sancho and Grealish.

‍ hell of a pass from Luke Shaw. 

Rashford knocks it in for 1-0

By seasider 2 weeks ago

‍That is what we missed at the World Cup. An attacking left wing back. What a pass for Rashford. 1-0.

‍ then some poor defending from Shaw and its 1-1!

By seasider 2 weeks ago

‍That didn't last long. 

We are we booing Ramos. Obviously some Liverpool fans in the crowd.

By seasider 2 weeks ago

‍Embarrassing goal to concede at this level.

‍ Rashford should have had a second there. 

By Magic147 2 weeks ago
I don't think I've ever seen a more open international match.