members do not see advertisements
RE: England Squad to play Spain & Switzerland
By seasider 2 weeks ago

‍Leicester City's Ben Chilwell and Demarai Gray have been added to the England squad for Tuesday's friendly against Switzerland.

By Bally 2 weeks ago

Let's be realistic about England. They've now lost 3 on the trot. Our best 11 is not good enough to compete at the top and the manager is championship standard at best. Just not good enough. A few plucky results against weak opposition in the WC has kidded a lot of people. 

By foggy 2 weeks ago

‍Agree with you there Danny, it kind of depends on how you approach that though. I thought we had hit rock bottom with the 2014 World Cup then getting knocked out by Iceland, so I'm not expecting us to be as good as the top teams such as Spain. This summer I would have been more than happy with reaching the quarter finals, we hadn't achieved that in 12 years. So it's kinda relative. We're making progress, and most importantly I actually like the team. They are likeable and so is Southgate. I guess it depends on your expectations. Getting to the semis was great, but nobody argued at the time that we're the 3rd or 4th best team in the world, so we shouldn't be too disappointed that we're being shown now we definitely aren't. As fans I think we just have to enjoy that summer for what it was, and realise it's still a long road for England to be one of the best in the world, but we're in a much better shape than we have been in more than a decade.

By seasider 2 weeks ago

‍I am enjoying it because you can buy into what Southgate is trying to do and there is hope for the future. I just hope we aren't putting too much pressure on next generation by pinning our hopes on them. 

The only negative is the midfield he is picking. We have to try something different to Henderson, Dier and Delph. Grealish deserves a shot even if he is playing in the Championship. Great player in that league but obviously a hell of a step up.

By Bally 2 weeks ago

‍How many of that midfield would get a game in one of the top international sides? Can't be arsed listing them but there must be at least a dozen countries with much better options

By seasider 1 week ago

I think we are covered in case the keeper gets injured.

By seasider 1 week ago

‍None of the three centre midfielders are in their club first team.

By Bally 1 week ago

‍Why do you think that is?

By seasider 1 week ago

This game would have been perfect to try out Maddison or  Grealish. 

I still reckon the players are struggling with this formation. They try and press but there is always space out wide. We don't need 5 defenders in a line at home to Switzerland. 

By seasider 1 week ago

‍This is absolutely dreadful

By Bally 1 week ago
seasider wrote:

This game would have been perfect to try out Maddison or  Grealish. 

I still reckon the players are struggling with this formation. They try and press but there is always space out wide. We don't need 5 defenders in a line at home to Switzerland. 

‍We have to play with wing backs because we have no midfielders who can create chances for the forwards

By seasider 1 week ago

‍We would still have that problem in whatever formation. I just can't believe we are playing five at the back at home to Switzerland which is why Switzerland are dominating the midfield and keeping the ball. Even with five, they are struggling to keep a line together and Switzerland have got in a couple of times. 

That first half was absolutely shambolic in all aspects; tactics, passion and quality. 

By TheSuffolkSeasider 1 week ago

‍ This game has just shown that a bunch of players who aren't good enough to start for their clubs also aren't good enough to start for their country. 

Trust them to score when I write that. 

By Magic147 1 week ago
Poland letting me down for £60 tonight.

‍ Spain are destroying Croatia. 

By seasider 1 week ago
TheSuffolkSeasider wrote:

‍ This game has just shown that a bunch of players who aren't good enough to start for their clubs also aren't good enough to start for their country. 

Trust them to score when I write that. 

‍Ultimately that is the problem and it highlights the pitfalls of the formation more. Dier and Loftus Cheek play with such low energy and you need energy and quality in midfield otherwise it becomes a flat back five at home to Switzerland and that isn't good enough. 

Bit better this half but Switzerland still look the better team.

By seasider 1 week ago

‍Can tell there is more quality on the pitch now. Stones makes a difference at the back. 

seasider wrote:

‍Ultimately that is the problem and it highlights the pitfalls of the formation more. Dier and Loftus Cheek play with such low energy and you need energy and quality in midfield otherwise it becomes a flat back five at home to Switzerland and that isn't good enough. 

Bit better this half but Switzerland still look the better team.

It was already a slow, dull game and all the substitutions have made it seem slower 😴

By foggy 1 week ago

Shit game. Pointless. Don't know why our Nations  League group has to be 3 teams so we have to have this weird friendly. Hopefully they'll expand all groups to 4 eventually.

Same as usual, nobody break through the lines and bring the ball from deep to the attack. Haven't seen Diet perform well in an England shirt, Hendo doesn't replicate his form for Liverpool. Wanted to see more from RLC, but probably too much resting on him as the only attacking midfielder. 

For me, it's pointless going back and forth about the formation. As Bally alluded too, a midfield if Delph/Hendo/Dier isn't sufficient.