members do not see advertisements

Mental Illness

By Hero in

General Chat

2 months ago
RE: Mental Illness
By Hero 2 months ago

‍Anyone on here suffered with it or had first hand accounts of family members?

I’m going through a bit of a “funny stage” in my life and I’m booked into the doctors. 

When ever I get angry or agitated, when I’ve calmed down, I can’t remember nothing! My wife pulled it, she works in mental health doing bloods for criminals and then I spoke to my mum. Apparently my Grandad and great Grandad had to go and have electric shocks at the doctors regularly.

Weird what life throws at you when you least expect it. All this time I’ve never know I’ve had this other side as I can never remember it.

By Magic147 2 months ago
Increasingly common these days unfortunately and very difficult to diagnose and treat the exact issue / issues.

I've had several periods of depression spread out over the last 10 years or more, so there's 1, and in the course of my work I encounter people with similar stories all the time.

It is what it is, just got to find what works for you.

By Hero 2 months ago

‍Theres a lot more going on that I thought was normal but my wife says isn’t.

I invent worst case scenarios in my head and then work how I’m going to deal with it.

By Magic147 2 months ago
It's a strange thing the human brain.
By CheshireSeasider 2 months ago

‍Hope you get whatever help you need pal and good luck with it.

I struggle a bit with social anxiety.  I'm fine most of the time with every day stuff, meeting up with pals and whatever else but if there is a work meeting, training session or just going out for an evening that involves a performance or comedy act, like yourself, I dream up the worst case scenario of being called out in front of a crowd and just that thought ruins the whole time I'm there.

It's held me back from so much and I probably should deal with it but I've just learned to accept it and crack on.

By seasider 2 months ago

‍My good friend has suffered from mental illness since college so on and off for 20 years. Thankfully he is now is a good place.

I've seen his behaviour change erratically to the point where he became a different person and not himself. He was in a very very dark place. I tried to help but sometimes it's difficult to know what to say but that never stopped me from trying.

Ironically he now works in mental health helping others. 

Good luck and don't be ashamed. It's very common. 

By GlasgowTangerine#1 2 months ago
much love hero---at the back of the human brain,we have the "R" complex brain-which stands for REPTILIAN brain--go check it---which beggars the question--have our genes been tampered with by a "superior" race ?....don't worry,we all do "daft" things---whatever "daft" means....the two headed man DOES have some meaning----we all have TWO brains...……!!
By Magic147 2 months ago
It's actually very fashionable these days...

I know of at least 7 or 8 other Blackpool fans who have had an onset of some form of mental illness since all our shit began, I'd be interested to measure that somehow. 

Good luck anyway, and if you're ever feeling shit, just come on here and you'll soon realise things could be much, much worse. 😂

By Magic147 2 months ago
GlasgowTangerine#1 wrote:much love hero---at the back of the human brain,we have the "R" complex brain-which stands for REPTILIAN brain--go check it---which beggars the question--have our genes been tampered with by a "superior" race ?....don't worry,we all do "daft" things---whatever "daft" means....the two headed man DOES have some meaning----we all have TWO brains...……!!

‍The fuck are you on about?

By Jams80 2 months ago
There's a common rule in mental health that it's not heireditary. Bi-polar disorder can be though. It's very hard to diagnose specifically, without a prolonged period of observation. So unless your gonna voluntarily section yourself, don't be surprised if the doctor prescribes some bullshit drugs. My advice would be to talk to a therapist or counselor. They can usually find the root and advise from there, or even help you manage whatever the problem is. Good luck
By Jams80 2 months ago
GlasgowTangerine#1 wrote:much love hero---at the back of the human brain,we have the "R" complex brain-which stands for REPTILIAN brain--go check it---which beggars the question--have our genes been tampered with by a "superior" race ?....don't worry,we all do "daft" things---whatever "daft" means....the two headed man DOES have some meaning----we all have TWO brains...……!!

‍ Haha, that part of the brain controls your breathing amongst other things. It basically controls the stuff you so without thinking. A primitive side of the brain.

to anton LeVay [magic 147]…..thank you for your lovely reply..if I "were" you i'd try starting looking at a diagram of the brain first--THEN come back on with an informed post....swearing is a cop out..we can all do it...so give some more please brother...
jams 80-----also controls the "fight and response" part of the brain....
By Magic147 2 months ago
GlasgowTangerine#1 wrote:to anton LeVay [magic 147]…..thank you for your lovely reply..if I "were" you i'd try starting looking at a diagram of the brain first--THEN come back on with an informed post....swearing is a cop out..we can all do it...so give some more please brother...

‍Just back from looking at a very detailed diagram of the brain.

Fuck you. 

By Jams80 2 months ago

Glasgow, If your talking about "fight or flight" responses then your talking about the Amygdala which controls your emotions and survival instincts, the reptilian brain is too primitive to do this.

jams,good one....how do we know the reptilian brain is "too primitive" to do this ? and how do we know the earth is a globe ? or a rainbow is indeed that !! ….good intelligent response brother.... much love...
magic147...much love to you brother...I was born in Layton many years ago...your hurt is my hurt..we are all in this together...
By TheSuffolkSeasider 2 months ago
GlasgowTangerine#1 wrote:jams,good one....how do we know the reptilian brain is "too primitive" to do this ? and how do we know the earth is a globe ? or a rainbow is indeed that !! ….good intelligent response brother.... much love...

‍Fuck me, Mensa have arrived on the forum.

ha ha ha ha !!!! Suffolk---much love brother.....
By foggy 2 months ago

‍I have anxiety and depression, I can completely understand what you mean when you say you visualise worst case scenarios. That's what I did every time I was out in a public place when I was at my worst. Everytime I went to the shops, to get a haircut, or had to get a train I needed to plan my exit route, to have excuses ready made in my head for if I needed to get out of there. Of course, there was no real threat, but the symptons of the anxiety were real. I would feel sick, I would feel like I was gonna need to rush off to the nearest toilet at any moment, even though I knew I had had this sensation a thousands times before and never once been sick, I still couldn't convince myself it was going to be OK.

A few panic attacks later and I finally saw a doctor about it. I was prescribed an antidepressant called Sertaline for the long-term, and I still take a beta blocker called propanalol in nervous situations when I might be highly prone to anxiety. The propanalol was a miracle to start off with, it was like back to being me again, it just keeps your heart rate steady and with that the other symptons didn't come with it, I knew I was calm even if I started to get the onset of an anxiety attack, it never escalated. Then slowly but surely the antidepressents started working, they've really helped both my depression and anxiety. It's easily been the best decision I ever made in my life.

The best thing to do, as always, is talk to your doctor. And if your GP is shit, trying to rush you off and fob you with whatever, demand they take the time to talk properly to you, or ask if you can see someone else. This is your health. I was too polite at first and was in and out of a doctors office in 2 minutes, I finally got given a really good one who took the time to talk with me and help me understand everything that was happening.

By Hero 2 months ago

‍Cheers Foggy,

I king of understand what you’ve been through but I think totally different scenarios. 

If my lad is at the Sandcastle with his uncle, I can’t stop planning how to kill myself if he drowns... ridiculous I know. If my wife is driving with him on the motorway.... same thing!!

Just shit!

By rockontommy 2 months ago

‍You need CBT

01253 955700

By seasider 2 months ago

‍Good to see people can talk open and honest about it.

One of my biggest annoyances is that I have a bit OCD in me. For example, I might think if that box isn't put away straight, something bad might happen. Thankfully, it's only when I think about it which is literally once in a blue moon but it gives me a little insight in why people do suffer from OCD.

By Jams80 2 months ago

‍I have this ongoing battle with the missus over which way the bog roll should hang on the holder. Drives me insane that she won't just so as she's told. She says I'm being anal (no pun). My point is we all probably have a little OCD to some extent.

By seasider 2 months ago

‍I've never known which way bog roll should go. I do the right pic but I think it's wrong.

By Magic147 2 months ago
rockontommy wrote:

‍You need CBT

01253 955700

‍ There you go, sorted, Tommy has spoken.

FFS

As for the bog roll, who in their right mind puts the bog roll on with the loose bit at the back?!

It's just common fucking sense. Sometimes I really wonder how we got to this stage as a species. I mean come on!!

I'm absolutely furious.

It's not on.

By TheSteed 2 months ago
Magic147 wrote:

FFS

As for the bog roll, who in their right mind puts the bog roll on with the loose bit at the back?!

It's just common fucking sense. Sometimes I really wonder how we got to this stage as a species. I mean come on!!

I'm absolutely furious.

It's not on.

‍CBT is what I went and got when a couple of shitty businessmen in the area decided to sue me for helping others point out their dishonest business practices. Quite helpful.

As for bog roll, I don't really care which way it is, I'm just thankful if it's there when I need it.

By seasider 2 months ago
Magic147 wrote:

FFS

I'm absolutely furious.

It's not on.

‍If the loose bit is at the back, less likely for my 3 year old to yank it!

That's what I think anyway even though in reality there is no difference 😀

By Magic147 2 months ago
CBT is one of many options, my point was that medical professionals find it very difficult to diagnose these things and recommend a suitable treatment plan, whereas our resident mushroom, who we already know to have suspect judgement, has decided that this is the answer to everybody's problems. It was something of a facepalm moment, I just couldn't be arsed explaining it, although I'm aware that I have just done so.

I tried CBT and find it to be a waste of time, but it obviously works in some cases.

By Magic147 2 months ago
seasider wrote:

‍If the loose bit is at the back, less likely for my 3 year old to yank it!

That's what I think anyway even though in reality there is no difference 😀

‍ Shit. Is that why there's bog roll all over my bathroom floor?!

Mind blown. Common sense really when you think about it..