members do not see advertisements
RE: Mental Illness
By Hero 2 weeks ago

‍Off to the quacks now, if I’m not back on here by the morning it’s because I’ve been sectioned.

It’s a weird feeling going to the doctors because you feel like a nutter!

By rockontommy 2 weeks ago

‍Good luck. Let us know whether the GP prescribes therapy or eastern belief systems and chilling out.

By Magic147 2 weeks ago
Good luck Hero.

Fuck off to the other knobhead.

Chill Out Magic...you don't have to bite every time ☯️

By Magic147 2 weeks ago
It's alright, just booking some CBT now. That'll sort it.

‍😂👍

By Hero 2 weeks ago

‍Doctor didn’t want to diagnose today and has referred me to some other bloke or something!

He said it’s not depression, anxiety or Bipolar and seems to point to numerous possibilities!

I hate going to the doctors. They had a blood pressure machine out in the waiting area so I had a bash before I went in, 138/80. The wife just banged on about how I was probably going to die as that was too high!

Just wish I never went really. 

By Magic147 2 weeks ago
No CBT?
By Hero 2 weeks ago

‍he did mention that yes. I’ve got some numbers  I’ve got contact now.

By Magic147 2 weeks ago
Joking aside, it's worth looking into, just go into it with an open mind.
By Bally 2 weeks ago
Hero wrote:

‍he did mention that yes. I’ve got some numbers  I’ve got contact now.

‍Good luck  pal. Every credit to you for putting your concerns on here. Let's hope your experience will maybe help others who are suffering in silence and haven't the confidence you have  to sort it out.

Personally  the last thing I'd do is admit to the cunts on here that I was crackers.

By Hero 2 weeks ago
Bally wrote:

‍Good luck  pal. Every credit to you for putting your concerns on here. Let's hope your experience will maybe help others who are suffering in silence and haven't the confidence you have  to sort it out.

Personally  the last thing I'd do is admit to the cunts on here that I was crackers.

‍cheers mate,

That is one of my problems in itself, I have no filter. I just post and say exactly what is on my mind. Add this to the fact I can’t control my emotions and sometimes I’m a ticking time bomb!

I’ve always believed talking about stuff, even on a public forum, will help. 

I think we all suffer with certain issues, just takes one crackpot to admit it first!!

By tangerinejezza 2 weeks ago
Magic147 wrote:No CBT?

I got a CBT as the first part of a motorbike license. 

Does that help ? 

By Magic147 2 weeks ago
tangerinejezza wrote:

I got a CBT as the first part of a motorbike license. 

Does that help ? 

‍ Apparently.

Magic147 wrote:

‍ Apparently.

Great! I passed it , so I must be sane 🤪 . 

By foggy 2 weeks ago
It might be a bit odd at first seeking professional help for a mental illness, but thankfully our society is becoming much more intelligent about it. Mental health is just as important as physical health, and of course the two overlap a great deal. You wouldn't ignore a broken arm, so why ignore depression, anxiety, or any of the other things that could be going on with you?
By foggy 2 weeks ago

‍also with the blood pressure thing, those results are often wrong. They can be massively impacted by what you ate for breakfast, how long it's been since you ate and all sorts of other stuff. When I was 21 or so I kept giving high blood pressure readings at the GPs even though there was seemingly nothing wrong with me, but the doctor said it's common cause most people are a bit tense at the doctor's anyway, and I bet you were if this was something completely new for you. If they're worried about blood pressure they give you a machine you strap around you and it reads your pressure several times over a 24 hour period which is much more accurate.

foggy wrote:

‍also with the blood pressure thing, those results are often wrong. They can be massively impacted by what you ate for breakfast, how long it's been since you ate and all sorts of other stuff. When I was 21 or so I kept giving high blood pressure readings at the GPs even though there was seemingly nothing wrong with me, but the doctor said it's common cause most people are a but tense at the doctor's anyway, and I bet you were if this was something completely new for you. If they're worried about blood pressure they give you a machine you strap around you and it reads your pressure several times over a 24 hour period which is much more accurate.

Tell me about it. I was having mine checked as it’s high. It was very high, the reason being I was having it checked first thing before work. Pretty much straight after a hot drink. When they told me the hot drink could be effecting the result and I didn’t have one , it came down by quite a bit.

By TheSuffolkSeasider 2 weeks ago
foggy wrote:

‍also with the blood pressure thing, those results are often wrong. They can be massively impacted by what you ate for breakfast, how long it's been since you ate and all sorts of other stuff. When I was 21 or so I kept giving high blood pressure readings at the GPs even though there was seemingly nothing wrong with me, but the doctor said it's common cause most people are a bit tense at the doctor's anyway, and I bet you were if this was something completely new for you. If they're worried about blood pressure they give you a machine you strap around you and it reads your pressure several times over a 24 hour period which is much more accurate.

Have a friend who has to go in for 24 hour monitoring on his blood pressure. He has had it for years but it finally lead to him having a heart attack a few months ago and caused further complications after having a stent put in. Worried for the guy as he seems to be a bit of a ticking time bomb if they can't get this resolved for him. None of the usual methods seem to be helping though. 

By McPoolmob 2 weeks ago

‍Carlisle: What stopped me killing myself

http://news.sky.com/video/share-11494498

By whitstabletangerine 2 weeks ago
For an accurate blood pressure reading it is important to sit for five minutes without talking and moving sitting upright with the cuffed arm in the upright position.
I have the benefit of a home monitor have been taking daily readings for some years following a stroke and it is very easy to get spikes as Foggy said just by eating or drinking certain foods/drinks.
Ideally not to eat or undertake any form of exercise one hour before taking the reading, even one cup of coffee could raise a reading from 135 rise to 150 and although I personally eat lots of fruit and veg, drink 8 glasses of water a day, walk 4/5 miles and cycle most days for 10 miles I still have to take medication to keep what has been described to me as being acceptable, a reading of 135/65.
I am now down to 10 stone 11lbs, exactly the same weight as I was at my RAF medical in 1959, having come down from 15 stone at my peak, feel much better for it but keeping the blood pressure down is difficult especially as I do not feel unwell, even when I had the last stroke there is no warning sign, it just happens, one minute you are ok next numbness, my left side of the face felt just like the effects of the needle at the dentist, it is amazing as the right side is fine, one side of the nose is numb the other ok, the mouth drops to one side, the numb side dropping down, speech becomes difficult and if still conscious slurred, on one side leg and arm become useless, but of course the severity of the stroke will be different with people, some recovering quickly other more slowly and others unfortunately no recovering at all.
I hope none of you have to experience one, blood pressure the silent one.
By tangerinejezza 1 week ago

Back on topic. My nephew had a bloke jump off a motorway bridge in front of him yesterday. ( not right in front so he hit him, but close enough to see it happen). 

Having seen a bloke thrown out of a car as it crashed I know he needs to talk about it. Stuff like that can come back into your mind  years later. 

By seasider 1 week ago

That would be horrible. Without trying to be funny, seeing a dead cat on the road stays in mind for a long time so I wouldn't even be able imagine what it would be like to witness that.

It's hard to fathom what would make someone want to do that. Is there too much pressure in society these days? Is it getting harder to be content in life with debts spiralling out of control. It's probably a combination of factors such as debt, maybe a bereavement, loneliness, etc. The ones that strike me are the parents who have a family. How could you leave your family behind knowing they love and depend on you.

We don't have to look too far as a member of this forum (Rocky) only recently took his own life. Not sure if that was ever confirmed but the lad clearly had problems and he was very open and honest about it.

By Hero 1 week ago
seasider wrote:

That would be horrible. Without trying to be funny, seeing a dead cat on the road stays in mind for a long time so I wouldn't even be able imagine what it would be like to witness that.

It's hard to fathom what would make someone want to do that. Is there too much pressure in society these days? Is it getting harder to be content in life with debts spiralling out of control. It's probably a combination of factors such as debt, maybe a bereavement, loneliness, etc. The ones that strike me are the parents who have a family. How could you leave your family behind knowing they love and depend on you.

We don't have to look too far as a member of this forum (Rocky) only recently took his own life. Not sure if that was ever confirmed but the lad clearly had problems and he was very open and honest about it.

‍i don’t think the Rocky comment is true!

I knew a bloke some years ago who took his own life, he was the sole guardian of his three children and knew they would find him!

Fuck knows what they think. They must be really hurting to believe killing yourself and allowing your kids to struggle through life is the best option.

Just sad.