members do not see advertisements

Football Fan Research

By jhiemsc in

Blackpool FC

2 months ago
RE: Football Fan Research
By jhiemsc 2 months ago

‍Hi,

I am a PhD student at Loughborough University with a focus on football and its relationships with its fans and communities. My current area of study is looking into how acts of corruption within football can impact upon the relationships within a club’s fan base.

As a football fan myself I have been aware of the situation the fans of Blackpool are currently confronted with and the difficulty in gaining a speedy resolution. Blackpool are a unique case in the sense of the level of fan activism shown, such as NAPM, a step that no other English fan base has taken. I am particularly interested in the views of fans, who have been partaking in the NAPM/NAGM and additional protests, on the current ownership, governing body assistance, fan relationships and future direction of the club. I believe this is an important, and so far, neglected area of study that deserves further in-depth investigation given the popularity of football and the important, intense relationships that can form between fans and their clubs.

To get your views I would be hoping to sit down with several fans in small groups to discuss their thoughts on the current issues regarding the football club and its fan base. Each group would have between 4-6 individuals (over the age of 18) and would take around 1 hour to complete. The benefits of assisting with this research, are that the views of ordinary fans can be heard within an academic context. This will allow the finished research to be widely shared and reviewed which could shed further light on the issues that are impacting football clubs and their fans, such as Blackpool’s, in the modern game.

I will be in Blackpool between the 6th – 10th & 22nd-24th October and would be delighted to meet those who wish to take part then. If you do wish to take part in this research, please contact me on the email below so that we can arrange a time and date. I will also be making repeat visits so if you wish to take part but are unavailable to do so on these dates please do get in contact to discuss different dates which would be more suitable. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to know more about the project before signing up or have any further comments, I would be happy to assist. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

John Hie

j.hie@lboro.ac.uk

By Magic147 2 months ago
I'm sure you'll get some interest in this, good luck with the research and I'd be interested to see the outcome.
By seasider 2 months ago

‍Sounds like you've done your research beforehand so every credit. Usually we get students asking us for input on things like match day experience which doesn't go down well.

I would probably recommend speaking to our Supporters Trust who I am sure would be more than helpful. You can contact them on Twitter @BlackpoolST or email secretary@blackpoolsupporterstrust.com.

Good luck with the research and like Magic says, would be keen to know the outcome.

By jhiemsc 2 months ago

‍Thanks for the comments, I've been in contact with BST but will give them another shout. As I mentioned, I'm planning to be in the town soon so if anyone does fancy discussing anything or introducing potential participants (perhaps over a pint), even if it is one on one, I'd be more than happy to do so.

Cheers guys and all the best. 

By Bally 2 months ago

‍Are you buying the ale?

By jhiemsc 2 months ago

‍As long as it is good ale...

By Magic147 2 months ago
I think we should limit the numbers here to provide a more concise reflection of our circumstances.

About 200 should be ok.

By jhiemsc 2 months ago

‍Hi all, just giving this a little bump as I will be in Blackpool tomorrow and Wednesday so if anyone is about, please do get in touch!

members do not see advertisements