‍Is it socially acceptable to drink in public houses but not in your own home?

I drink most nights in the pub 8/10 pints and no one bats a eyelid, my auntie drinks half a bottle of wine a night and she is slagged rotten behind her back.

Is it a gender thing the community accepting men frequenting the pub??

It just strikes me as strange.

‍8-10 pints a night? You must have a right derby.

‍He shags Supermodels afterwards for 6 hours to keep his weight down

‍Legend.

‍There is probably a gender issue there. It does appear that it's socially more acceptable for men to drink more than Women.

I think 8-10 pints a night sums up the thread title nicely.

Jams80 wrote:

‍8-10 pints a night? You must have a right derby.

‍What do you think? 

I eat pies and drink ale.

‍I drank 8 - 10 vodkas one long night 3 weeks ago and I'm still suffering and avoiding demon booze. 

Pass the dutchie on the left hand side.

Hero wrote:

‍What do you think? 

I eat pies and drink ale.

‍ I'm not judging you, fatty.

seasider wrote:

‍There is probably a gender issue there. It does appear that it's socially more acceptable for men to drink more than Women.

I think 8-10 pints a night sums up the thread title nicely.

‍I think the issue is drinking alone. Drinking in a social setting like a pub has been around for hundreds of years, and is socially acceptable. Even those with a drink problem get less hassle when drinking in a pub. But drinking alone at home somehow highlights much more of a problem. I suppose there is no difference if you drink responsibly, but who the fuck does that.

‍How do you get hassle when drinking alone?

Jams80 wrote:

‍I think the issue is drinking alone. Drinking in a social setting like a pub has been around for hundreds of years, and is socially acceptable. Even those with a drink problem get less hassle when drinking in a pub. But drinking alone at home somehow highlights much more of a problem. I suppose there is no difference if you drink responsibly, but who the fuck does that.

‍Depends what you mean by drinking. Having a beer or a glass of wine on your own is sometimes the best time for me. Don't have to make conversation, can do you want and actually enjoy the drink. 

I don't drink as much these days for two reasons: Go out less and I struggle with the hangover when the kid expects you to be on top form and ready to play hide and seek. 

Bally wrote:

‍How do you get hassle when drinking alone?

‍ What I mean is it's frowned upon if you drink more than a few at home on your own. It would imply to some people that there is an issue.

‍well, for what it’s worth, I have a drink problem. I downloaded the drink aware app a few weeks ago & tracked my drinking. I average 20 - 30 units a day, that’s about 12 pints of lager. I don’t drink 12 pints but that’s what it equates to in units. 

It’s shit, alcohol is poison, it’s so readily accepted in the community, it’s a killer. I can do all sorts of stupid shit when pissed. 

Abstinence seems to be the only way as 1’s too many & 10’s not enough. Can anyone relate to that statement?

I know exactly where you're coming from Lee. First step taken.

‍first step taken for you or me?

I’ve been with Horizon for 6 months now. 

I’m very close to my end goal of abstinence. 

In 2 weeks time I’m hoping will be the start of my new & focused life. 👍

Leesthedaddy wrote:

‍ For you. Good luck with the recovery.

‍Good luck Lee.

I don’t think I’ll ever give drinking up, it is by far my favourite hobby and I just enjoy it far too much.

I’m off to the pub now!

‍If it doesn't work for you do everything you can to give up the booze if you can. I know too many great people who've had a pathetic sad life due to drinking problems.

Leesthedaddy wrote:

Well done Lee. I’ve cut drinking right down now. Could make the step , but I still enjoy the odd beer every now and then. 

‍Cheers Guys, ha ha, no pun intended. 

Jezza, if I could cut down I would, that’s the meaning behind 1’s too many & 10’s not enough. It’s like Pringles, once you pop,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Boozing is all I’ve ever known, I drink too much, the Mrs drinks too much. It’s fucking scary, I don’t know what life is like without alcohol. 

Leesthedaddy wrote:

‍Cheers Guys, ha ha, no pun intended. 

Jezza, if I could cut down I would, that’s the meaning behind 1’s too many & 10’s not enough. It’s like Pringles, once you pop,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Boozing is all I’ve ever known, I drink too much, the Mrs drinks too much. It’s fucking scary, I don’t know what life is like without alcohol. 

You’ve done the right thing mate. 

‍im getting smashed tonight. (Already half way) going to Asda on my push iron in a min to get me some Champaign for the morning. I cant celebrate with pop when I come out can I?

See you all in 8 days guys. 🥂👍

‍In Edinburgh today. 

The price of larger here is around £4.80 a pint which is staggeringly more than the £2.40 I was paying in Flintshire yesterday.

Outside of Glasgow the Jocks seem to charge quite high for Ale.

‍I hope all went well Lee!

‍Thanks Hero, yes it did. 

I’m 13 days clean now.

I did my first AA meeting today & I had relapse prevention on Friday afternoon, I’ve been going to horizon for about 6 months on a Wednesday evening too. 

I spent 7 nights in Birchwood on a Detox, 

Not sure if this will work but here’s a link to my Facebook post today & it’s so fucking true. 

https://www.facebook.com/1689359964682589/posts/2214729935478920/

Nice one, Lee.

‍Well done Lee

‍well done Lee . 

‍Well done Lee. Stay strong and just think the pain will all be worth it in the end.

Well done Lee