members do not see advertisements
RE: England Squad for USA and Croatia
By GynnSquarePhoenix 4 weeks ago

‍Belgium just laid down and died when they were 2-0 up.

By tangerine77 4 weeks ago

Surprised how much the players and fans celebrated for a tournament that's just glorified friendlies.

By seasider 4 weeks ago
tangerine77 wrote:

Surprised how much the players and fans celebrated for a tournament that's just glorified friendlies.

‍I just think people are buying into what Southgate is doing. During the World Cup, I wasn't getting excited as I didn't see many good performances and the formation looked wrong to me. I am more excited now watching these friendlies as he is picking a system and players that I personally can relate to.

An example of this is Walker at centre half and Ashley Young at left back. Just didn't get it. Now the back four, although young, looks decent and we now have wide players who can push their full backs back rather than us defending as a back 5. 

continues after advertisement
By tangerine77 4 weeks ago
Oh I agree, I think people are recognising the start of something.
By tangerinejezza 4 weeks ago

How many times have we been through this tho? 1996-2002 the young players then were considered our brilliant future. Nothing to show for it . 

By seasider 4 weeks ago
tangerinejezza wrote:

How many times have we been through this tho? 1996-2002 the young players then were considered our brilliant future. Nothing to show for it . 

‍You might be right but there are three things that maybe slightly different:

- Young talent going abroad although you could argue that this has happened in the past.

- Facilities and development of young players will be in a different league compared to what it was.

- The fact we have been successful in youth tournaments already shows there is definitely talent coming through.

I agree though, the current squad isn't good enough especially in the midfield area so we are relying on youth players solving this problem.