members do not see advertisements

HMV in administration

By seasider in

General Chat

2 weeks ago
RE: HMV in administration
By seasider 2 weeks ago

I am surprised it's lasted this long to be honest with the likes of Spotify and Amazon Music taking over. There will always be people who want album and DVD hard copies but I suspect they are few and far between. 

Shame as it's been a big part of my youth and horrible for those losing their jobs. 

By Qblock2019 2 weeks ago
They ripped us for years back in the day though.
By seasider 2 weeks ago

One of my best mates refuses to get involved with digital music as he likes to own the album's. I couldn't give a shit so doesn't affect me. 

I subscribe to Amazon Music for £7.99 as I already subscribe to Prime. Prefer Spotify but that is two quid more a month. Back in the day it was 12.99 for just one album so it's a bit of no brainer. 

For DVD's, people either stream illegally, use a subscription service such as Amazon or Sky or worst case, probably go to Tesco or Asda as more convenient. 

I don't even know if the one in Blackpool is still there. I presume so. 

continues after advertisement
By Magic147 2 weeks ago
The price of progress I suppose.
By seasider 2 weeks ago
It certainly won't be the last major retailer to go. People are just lazy bastard these days and want content and shopping at a click of a button.
By seasider 2 weeks ago
I still remember the first CD I bought. Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince - Boom Boom Shake Shake the Room. £3.99 from WHSmith.
By tangerinejezza 2 weeks ago
seasider wrote:It certainly won't be the last major retailer to go. People are just lazy bastard these days and want content and shopping at a click of a button.

Local council are not helping . It costs to drive into a town centre and then you get spanked parking. Where as amazon will bring it next day to your front door. 

Local council makes more money from parking tickets than rates. 

By Hero 2 weeks ago

I doubt I go shopping in town twice a year now. If you’re not put off by traffic, one way systems, cameras, or parking charges you often find shops don’t  store what you want anyway. Far easier to order online and send it back if it’s wrong.

My missus kept a 2k float for online shopping. She will often max it out in one sitting but within a day most items have been returned.

I must admit it took me awhile to get my head around it.

By bpoolkev1966 2 weeks ago
When i was a lad it was either Melody House or HMV for music. Not sure if Melody house is still there as i have not been down Bond street for years. 
By tangerinejezza 2 weeks ago
All gone now. Mh sinfonia and all the others from the past 
By GynnSquarePhoenix 2 weeks ago

It has to be the only retail area where the small independent stores are doing well as the giants struggle for survival.

I've got a choice of a dozen small record stores in the city, an increase from 10 years ago.

By Bally 2 weeks ago
GynnSquarePhoenix wrote:

It has to be the only retail area where the small independent stores are doing well as the giants struggle for survival.

I've got a choice of a dozen small record stores in the city, an increase from 10 years ago.

‍I'd be searching for obscure 'Northern' singles. Not sure if Arizon would be a good place to try though.