England squad

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke City), Tom Heaton (Burnley), Jordan Pickford (Everton)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Michael Keane (Everton), Harry Maguire (Leicester City), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Chelsea), Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Declan Rice (West Ham)

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Callum Wilson (Bournemouth)

No real surprises. 

Surprised Delph's been given the nod over James Ward-Prowse, I read that Delph has played 10 mins since Boxing day and JWP has scored 6 in his last 9. I'd perhaps even have JWP in ahead of Ruben Loftus-Cheek, for that matter.

Hope Southgate isn't succumbing to big team bias alike recent England managers before him...

Quite often Southgate's selections baffle me. As you say, why Delph? The challenge is having the quality to replace them. We are crying out for top level midfielders.

At present, do we actually have any top level midfielders?  This was always my fear for the squad at Russia 2018... pace at the front and down the flanks  but not enough meat in the middle.

Era of Lampard, Gerrard et al seems so long ago already. 

Probably sums up why Declan Rice has been called up? He has never really stood out watching West Ham on the telly.

Surprised to see Phil foden not there 

And Angus Gunn he's had a better season in goal than butland 

I would be surprised if Pickford keeps his number one spot. Too many mistakes in him. Not sure who would step in though. 
Rice and Foden are England’s two best midfielders by a mile.
Foden needs to prove it yet. He is young so no rush to move him to senior squad. 
Graves wrote:

At present, do we actually have any top level midfielders?  This was always my fear for the squad at Russia 2018... pace at the front and down the flanks  but not enough meat in the middle.

Era of Lampard, Gerrard et al seems so long ago already. 

Era of Lampard and Gerrard, some era that 😂.

For me it's a non-too-distant reminder that they both played in the WC prior to 2018, and we didn't get out of the group stages for the first time since 1958! 

James ward-prowse added as Manchester City pair John Stones and Fabian Delph have withdrawn through injury, as has Chelsea's Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2019/mar/18/england-senior-mens-squad-update-180319

Would rather see Loftus Cheek. He has done well Ward-Prowse but not sure he has the real quality requried at this level. Mind you, don't think Loftus Cheek has either. Bit of a luxury player.

Hudson-Odoi added to the squad. I know he doesn't play for Chelsea but happy about this one.

The lad hasnt started a single game for Chelsea in the league this season, he has a few sub apps totaling less than 2 hours of football. Very talented prospect no doubt, but it shows how small the English player pool must be if a kid without a start for his team in the league is getting called up to the national team.

It's shit but like you say the choice is limited. If these kids are not getting a chance in the PL or abroad, England will never come to close to winning anything.

Centre backs worry me and I was hoping I would never see Dier and Henderson together in the same team. It's not going to be pleasant viewing with that team. 

seasider wrote:

Centre backs worry me and I was hoping I would never see Dier and Henderson together in the same team. It's not going to be pleasant viewing with that team. 

I’ve put £200 on them and Spain double.

FFS

Painful start. Hopefully with Barkley now on for Dier, we can attack more.
Harsh pen
Scoreline flatters us. They are getting through far too easily on the right side.
I wish that band would fuck off

Czech are poor but what a difference when Dier went off. Barkley has been very good and provides a link with the front three. More effective than Ali in my opinion. Not sure if you can play Barkley and Ali in midfield together but it's so much better seeing midfielders looking to get forward. Sterling massively benefited from having more attack minded midfielders. 

What do people think of Ali? Seems to get picked all the time without producing much. 

Ali seems to be living of a good season for the last few years. He is definitely one of our better midfielders but he is so inconsistent.

He probably gets picked because he raely  makes any mistakes.

That's why I like Barkley. Gives the ball away more but at least he is always trying to do something. Not sure if they both can play in same team.

Hopefully Southgate will keep positive tonight. I don't want to see Rice, Henderson and Ali but I fear that could be midfield. I think Barkley did enough to start.

Pickford, Walker, Keane, Maguire, Chilwell, Rice, Barkey, Ali, Sterling, Hudson-Odayi, Kane.

That would be my team given the squad available. Can't see Southgate playing Barkley and Ali together away from home. Henderson did alright against Czech so wouldn't object to him starting ahead of Rice.

So this is where our old temporary East Stand went.

Happy with this team. The team I said apart from Rose replacing Chilwell.

Nightmare start. Losing 1-0
1-1