Introduction of speed limiters, good or bad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

I've always wondered why this isn't in place already. The speed limit is 70 mph so why can you go faster? I know abroad there are faster limits so car manufacturers have to cater for all countries.

My brain tells me it's a good idea but I would personally hate it as do a lot of motorway driving.

Just turn it off.

The bigger story here is the black boxes which will prove liability in the case of accidents. 

Most modern cars know where you are now and the speed limit is displayed.

Magic147 wrote:

Just turn it off.

The bigger story here is the black boxes which will prove liability in the case of accidents. 

I think that's a good thing although you could be speeding and it might not be your fault. What happens there? E.G. A driver changes line without lucky and hits a car going 80mph in the fast lane. Would that be the driver driving at 80mph fault? I guess it would be if driving over the speed limit.

I was rather lucky the other day travelling out of a village with a 30 mph limit '

Climbing up the hill having left the houses behind and in open  country I believed the limit had ended  until I heard the lady on the Becker  Nav suddenly said  "Please observe the speed limit",  I immediately took my foot of the gas having reached 40 mph+.

A  hundred yards further up in the hill on the grass verge or perhaps a small pull in area was the dreaded white van which I passed gracefully at 30mph.

Big Sister was keeping an eye on me, we are being watched,  look out.

Apparently a new update on Google Maps has speed cameras. Not seen it yet. Waze is another sat nav app that shows you speed cameras. Other drivers share information but I've always wondered how that's possible when driving. 

My old garmin had speed camera loaded on it.. It’s illegal in Spain to use it . Tho they were marked on all Spanish roads. 

Present car has a built in satnav but not got cameras on it. 

I've got a built in Sat Nav but don't trust it and obviously doesn't receive updates. Use Google Maps on my phone.
seasider wrote:I've got a built in Sat Nav but don't trust it and obviously doesn't receive updates. Use Google Maps on my phone.

Mines brilliant. Active connection so will change route for congestion. ( only if they update the info) 

My garmin cost £65 , worth every penny when it got us through Paris.

Best sat nav is your phone with its internet it has all the latest traffic news.

tangerine77 wrote:

Best sat nav is your phone with its internet it has all the latest traffic news.

Only if you have internet connection. There’s still a lot of roads in this country without any. And if plod catches you touching a phone, it’s a fine and points. 
Best satnav is your phone with the tomtom app - costs 14 quid a year but you get live traffic info live speed cameras 
Isn't that what Google has for free?
Probably but it doesn't use data 
Depends how much you use one I suppose - I'm always on  the road so its invaluable for me 

The data is minimal. Probably just me but had bad experience with Sat Navs so just use Google. 

A lot of my work colleagues use Waze but prefer the simple approach to Google. 

The only problem I've encountered with using your phone as a satnav is when you get a call when you're busy navigating a tricky town centre you've never been to before and the screen goes off 'cos a call comes in - cue screaming and swearing at the caller :-)
I understand that one... then you frantically trying to tab your way back to the navigation screen which is not good when at a busy roundabout!