I suppose the bigger question is.. Does anyone have the right to discipline someone else's kid if they're acting like their dad and being a knob? Touching is obviously out and the preference is always to find the parent and tell them what a little twat they've spawned, but are there circumstances when you've had to have a go at a sprog?
Never.
GynnSquarePhoenix wrote:I suppose the bigger question is.. Does anyone have the right to discipline someone else's kid if they're acting like their dad and being a knob? Touching is obviously out and the preference is always to find the parent and tell them what a little twat they've spawned, but are there circumstances when you've had to have a go at a sprog?

You obviously have, your posting style would suggest it. 

Can’t believe you’d even ask that question but I suppose that’s what the USA does to you.

Sometimes the parents just make matters worse, on a nine hour flight to the US, I  had a youngster sitting behind me constantly kicking the back of the seat.

After a couple of hour with this going on and off   I stood up to find a mother and two kids sitting in the row behind and I asked her if you could stop the little girl from kicking the seat in front of her.

The mother  took my request with a tirade of abuse which must have startled the kids, unless they were used to it and  she asked me repeatedly, "what can you do with a six year old on a long flight".

I was never one for reclining the seat back for a nap on a flight so didn't make the situation any worse, however after a break of an hour or so the rest of the flight continued as it began with the kicking once again continuing.

No one wants to see children slapped or abused in any way but there are certainly times when I have really wondered if the parents should  be in charge of their kids, there has to be a level of discipline and it has to start in the home and not just in the schools.

Whits, that would suggest a lack of respect being shown within the household. I think this is a issue for parents nowadays, not sure why!

If a child is taught to show respect and to have consideration towards others they won’t go far wrong.

TBH, American children seem to be far more respectful than the English lot over here! It hurts me to say it but it’s true.

I manage rental properties in low income neighborhoods. I have had to stop kids bullying other kids, writing on walls, riding scooters into the elderly. In every case I've tried to explain why their actions are wrong, never raised my voice or got physical.. It's wonderful that you never come across absent parenting or unruly kids in the UK or do you just do that English thing where you don't get involved or bravely tut loudly.
GynnSquarePhoenix wrote:I manage rental properties in low income neighborhoods. I have had to stop kids bullying other kids, writing on walls, riding scooters into the elderly. In every case I've tried to explain why their actions are wrong, never raised my voice or got physical.. It's wonderful that you never come across absent parenting or unruly kids in the UK or do you just do that English thing where you don't get involved or bravely tut loudly.

I think you’ve read my post wrong, I was saying in general over here the American kids seem far better behaved. The English seem to lack respect.

If I do come across a naughty kid back home I tell their parents, I don’t feel like I could tell another kid what they should be doing but when I’m older/wiser I might do.

Funny innit..my take is that English kids mostly have manners and are respectful and yanks can be little shits because they're never really disciplined.  I lived in fear of my parents wrath as a kid and still managed to by a shit when they were out of sight. Starting to sound like the Four Yorkshiremen.... When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

I’d got the impression you like smacking kids anyway hero. You regularly recommended it when you firs joined. 
tangerinejezza wrote:I’d got the impression you like smacking kids anyway hero. You regularly recommended it when you firs joined. 

You don’t believe everything you read on here do you?

Also, it was an expression I used and still do... “the back of a hairy hand”.

You talk some wank lad! 

tangerinejezza wrote:

You talk some wank lad! 

Good at it aren’t i👍