Today's Football League Paper:

"In 2009, as Liverpool savaged Real Madrid 4-0 in the Champions League, Steven Gerrard made way for Jay Spearing to come off the bench and make his first senior appearance at Anfield.

A decade later, Spearing is still receiving a helping hand from his legendary former teammate, who is offering his guidance as the Blackpool captain lays the foundations for a career in football once his playing days are over.

Spearing hopes to clinch his UEFA B Licence this month and now-Rangers manager Gerrard isn't the only confidant contributing to the 30-year-old's bid for his coaching badges.

"I've been back at Liverpool Academy with the Under-14s and doing work at Blackpool Academy with the Under-15s and Under-16s," said the midfielder.

"I've spoken to Stevie quite a bit. He's been sending me sessions and he's also said that if you're enjoying it, stick at it. Alex Inglethorpe at Liverpool Academy: he's been outstanding, and so have Steve Heighway (academy director) and Dave Challinor (AFC Fylde boss). If i can help any young lads kick on in their career that's something that I am looking forward to in four or five years - that will be the next stage of my career, fingers crossed. Seeing kids doing the sessions that you put on and figuring it out, it gives you a bit of a buzz."

Spearing is also preparing to welcome his third child into the world but don't go writing off his career just yet - the diminutive midfielder couldn't be more excited for the here and now, especially since Blackpool have begun a new chapter. Freed from the clutches of controversial former owners, the Oyston family, the Seasiders are a club transformed.

Optimism is flowering again on the Lancashire coast, even if Blackpool could receive a 12-point deduction from the EFL this week, as a result of being put into receivership by the High Court. Simply seeing fans jubilantly pack Bloomfield Road once again - like nearly 15,000 did when the Seasiders took on Southend in the first game since the Oystons' departure last month - has resonated with Spearing.

"You could say it's been a new chapter but, to be honest, it feels like a new club," he said. "As the captain, I felt down and sorry for the club because of where it should be. I played here when I was at Bolton and I remember it being sold out and the atmosphere being unbelievable - they were bouncing from start to finish - and when I joined, it was completely the opposite. That first game back was like a carnival and the whole place is changing. We feel as if we're a brand new club and a real club. If you don't enjoy this, what are you going to enjoy?"

If Terry McPhillips' troops aren't deducted points, then they're a side still in with a shout of making a late assault on the League One play-off spots. But Blackpool recorded just three wins in February and March and Spearing believes they must stay true to themselves if they're to sign off in style.

He added, "We had a way of playing but, for some strange reason, in the last few weeks we changed the formation that we believed we were good at. We'll go into every game trying to win. If it doesn't take us to the play-offs, then we believe that we've had a good season, and if it does, then it will top off a great season."

A dig at TM?
I reckon that is a dig at TM. I said it as well, that diamond formation has cost us a few crucial results.

Yes, I agree, it’s a little pop at TM. 

But, we’re not on the inside & for all we know, TM thought we now have another man on the pitch (the fans) & the players will buzzing from this extra support. He may have thought this was the time to try something new, something daring & could bring goals in. He tried it for a few games but it didn’t have the effect he was hoping for so after a few failed games he gave it up. 

Balls for trying I say, it’s just a shame it didn’t work out. 

It worked for other managers & look where that got us!!!

Leesthedaddy wrote:

Yes, I agree, it’s a little pop at TM. 

But, we’re not on the inside & for all we know, TM thought we now have another man on the pitch (the fans) & the players will buzzing from this extra support. He may have thought this was the time to try something new, something daring & could bring goals in. He tried it for a few games but it didn’t have the effect he was hoping for so after a few failed games he gave it up. 

Balls for trying I say, it’s just a shame it didn’t work out. 

It worked for other managers & look where that got us!!!

I agree, better to try it this season with 12 pt deduction hanging over us. Better to experiment than making the playoffs and then have the deduction. That would have been gut wrenching.