Is one really necessary at our level? 

At the fans forum he spoke of the importance of a long term structure being implemented including a director of football, performance analytics and data-focused recruitment. 

The point of a DOF is that when managers come and go, the overall structure on and off the field at the club isnt really affected. We know too well the amount of rebuilds we've had to do after managers leave, a complete revamp of the playing squad. Sadler wants this so that our recruitment and every club decision is based around a strategy and philosophy of the club itself rather than a manager, then you bring in managers that will work to that strategy so players that are brought in fit the club. 

It is a smart move for longevitity of stability at a club and we will be ahead of the game at this level if we implement this.

My candidate for this would be Marcus Bean.

Marcus Bean? The ex Pool midfielder?

Sounds good as long as they don't interfere too much!

Why Marcus Bean? Isn't he still playing at Wycombe Wanderers? Does he have the right qualifications? Only asking out of ignorance - perhaps he's a perfect fit or I've missed something.
I listen to his podcast and he’s featured on Football Weekly a lot, he’s done his qualifications and sees himself as a DOF going forward, really intelligent bloke. 
I thought he was an under rated player for us. Quite liked him. 
I’m not sure about this but, I must admit that I know fuck all about him in that role.
Marcus Bean,the only player I have seen clear the North stand roof with a shot from inside the penalty area!.
A Director of Football does not need to have been a player
Get Billy Beane in

It'll be interesting to see who fills the vacancy. A total unknown for us.

Interesting also to see what falls within their scope.  

DonCorleone wrote:

Welcome Don 👍

Do we know if it's common for League One teams to have a Director of Football? Thinking of the top sides in this division. You constantly hear of someone in the role not working well with the manager so it is a concern. Perhaps it is more common than I think but you just don't hear about it.

DonCorleone wrote:

It would be good for Blackpool to have a 'philosophy' or sorts. Like an Ajax, Barcelona etc that no matter who the head coach is the philoshy never changes, whether it's the style of football (keep ball, hoof ball + win) we play or the transfer targets we bring in (young, old).
Welcome Don. In principle appointing a DOF is sound.
seasider wrote:

Welcome Don 👍

Do we know if it's common for League One teams to have a Director of Football? Thinking of the top sides in this division. You constantly hear of someone in the role not working well with the manager so it is a concern. Perhaps it is more common than I think but you just don't hear about it.

it's a bit like owners that though in a sense, you only hear about the bad ones because the good ones are just cracking on with their job.

Dragging this thread a bit. I remembered that people questioned what the purpose was in a director of football. I came across the below video, which seems to sum it up pretty well.

As an aside, that youtube channel has a lot of informative stuff on it

Have we actually appointed one yet? You would think that should happen sooner rather than later with the season about to start.
seasider wrote:Have we actually appointed one yet? You would think that should happen sooner rather than later with the season about to start.

If they have, they're not listed on here:

https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/club/staff-directory/

Think this was more of a long term plan than an immediate focus. Expect it to be later in the year or even back end of the season

Not discounting the idea,  but think there's still some uncertainty about what a DoF does. 

Many "big" clubs have made such an appointment, but whether it's a priority in providing the stability we need in our position and at this level, is debatable.

The incumbent's role and responsibilities would have to be defined and communicated, clearly,  to club officials and,

hopefully, fans.

He,  or she would have to form a positive relationship with manager and coaches.

Would they concentrate on strategy, transfers (in and out), marketing and club facilities, as opposed to team-selection, player rotation, kit washing and transport?

Did KO, Tommo, or Olly, assume the role, ten years ago? 

It's all a bit much for this simpleton to accept nowadays,  but,  there again,  "PROGRESS", is our motto.