50 years ago today.  

One tv channel here is showing the news broadcast in synced time from July 16th 1969..all day. It's pretty cool.  I think Apollo 11 will make it and Armstrong and Aldrin will walk on the moon.

Bet Armstrong fluffs his lines under pressure.

I bet some think it’s a hoax and it’s being filmed in a tv studio! 

What they don’t know is the studio is on the dark side of the moon so no one can find it 😎

All of Staining infants and juniors watched it on the school tv in the Assembly Hall. I remember being unimpressed! 
Lancashirehotpot wrote:All of Staining infants and juniors watched it on the school tv in the Assembly Hall. I remember being unimpressed! 
Must be a boy thing, but it started a lifelong interest in space travel and adventure in general for me.
GynnSquarePhoenix wrote:Must be a boy thing, but it started a lifelong interest in space travel and adventure in general for me.
Probably right there, John! I was more bothered about missing out on my lessons! 😀
I’m not old enough. 🤣🤣

I was working for a dept monitoring the Russians who at the same time had sent (well a couple of days earlier)  Luna 15   unmanned  to the Moon to collect samples,  unfortunately for the Russians  it made a crash landing.

The space race which Russia had lead for some time had for the present come to an end, the eagle had landed.

TheSteed wrote:Bet Armstrong fluffs his lines under pressure.
They showed one of his rare interviews last night, from the 70's I think. The dropped 'a' was brought up and they gave him an out by asking if it was a transmission glitch, he stated.. 'No, I fumbled. I hadn't been given anything to say, it was purely down to me, I had rehearsed it in my head, maybe it was the adrenaline'.
A re-run of the original moon landing TV  broadcast is on Channel 4 this Saturday at 8pm. I am going to watch it because this will be the only time I have seen it since watching it live in school in 1969. 
GynnSquarePhoenix wrote:

I need to subscribe to read the full article. 

Shame as I am sat on the throne at work & would of enjoyed 5 mins of reading that. 

I was working  for much of the period of the mission but pretty sure that weekend we were playing Liverpool in a Friendly at Bloomfield Road.

Blackpool f c was also on a mission, to get back to the top division of English football.

Les Shannon had taken over from Morty which came as a bit of a shock but it was going to be a season not to forget in a hurry as we returned to the first division as runners up in the league and the end of the season bash at Deepdale with Fred P's hat-trick.

Perhaps 50 years on we can do it again this time securing promotion to what was that old second division now the Championship, but who will be our Fred Pickering this time around.

A few months into the season and  I  had left Bedfordshire and took up a position Speke airport, that gave me the opportunity to see Pool play a little more often and visit Mum at the same time and it was a season not to be missed, great to see us once again get back to the first division, even though it was a short lived affair.

If only it was 25 p to get into the ground,  2 p for a programme and 25 p for a gallon of petrol as it was back then,  eh!

bfcpete wrote:A re-run of the original moon landing TV  broadcast is on Channel 4 this Saturday at 8pm. I am going to watch it because this will be the only time I have seen it since watching it live in school in 1969. 
Watching it now. Just about to step onto the moon.
seasider wrote:Watching it now. Just about to step onto the moon.
Can't you get a reception at home?

Actually no. Vodafone has been down in FY8. Better signal on the moon. 

seasider wrote:

Actually no. Vodafone has been down in FY8. Better signal on the moon. 

Vodafone and a trip to Tower Circus, someone is doing well.