So grateful that we have stable leadership in the west during what could be a serious international incident.
Hope the 23 on board are ok. Hopefully just a political statement and nothing else. 
Reports of another tanker being seized.

It’s not looking good is it?

No British nationalities on board. 

I am sure Iran want the release of the tanker seized near Gibraltar.

seasider wrote:

No British nationalities on board. 

I am sure Iran want the release of the tanker seized near Gibraltar.

Of course...the US and UK leadership want a fucking big war is my take. The Iranians probably have a reason for poking the west with a stick too. 
GynnSquarePhoenix wrote:Of course...the US and UK leadership want a fucking big war is my take. The Iranians probably have a reason for poking the west with a stick too. 
Sounds expensive.

Yep, We’ve pissed all the Sunni islamic nations off by back Shia governments for the last twenty years, now we just flip reverse it and we’ve pissed the entire Muslim world off.

Job done  
Hero wrote:

Yep, We’ve pissed all the Sunni islamic nations off by back Shia governments for the last twenty years, now we just flip reverse it and we’ve pissed the entire Muslim world off.

Job done  

We haven't pissed Turkey off to my knowledge and Saudi Arabia relationship has been strong for many decades and they are both Sunni dominated countries.

The big problem in this region since the fall of Saddam and the chaos created in Iraq and later Syria is the vacuum created when both Iraq and Iran both fancied themselves as the dominate force.

In recent years Iran has stepped up to the mark in establishing  a Shia area stretching from the Med (Lebanon) across Syria, Iraq to its own borders.

Saudi Arabia sees this as a threat to the region and along with other smaller Gulf states are deeply concerned that Iran in it's attempt to be the most powerful state in the region becomes a nuclear power.

Saudi Arabia and other Gulf States along with Israel have lobbied the US who with their European allies had an agreement with Iran regarding nuclear expansion which the US now sees as obsolete and introduced additional sanctions in an effort to hurt the Iranian economy.

The EU on the other hand has trade sanctions imposed on Iraq which restricts the supply of oil to Syria, in a misguided attempt in trying to help the civilian population from even more suffering. The Syrian could get oil from another source, it's ally Russia for example so it does not need Iranian oil, however Iran needs the revenue and Syria is one of only a few countries who would help it out.

The UK has taken the Iranian tanker off Gibraltar for breach of EU sanctions, now you would have thought that the EU would be grateful for the UK carrying out it's obligation perhaps even sending ships to the gulf to help stop any further hijackings of oil tankers but there appears to be a deafening silence from the EU.

This is the direct result of preposterous foreign policy in Washington. Trump went against the deal done by Obama and replaced it with punitive sanctions. Whatever you think of the Iranian regime, the US are the belligerents in this. These things are to be expected when you needlessly cripple a country's economy with unfair sanctions after signing a deal designed to ease those same sanctions and contain their nuclear progression.

Trump is close to pushing this to war. I don't know if he wants war but it's heading that way unless common sense prevails and dialogue and diplomacy are returned to.

This is Trump's way of doing things, he  would like to see a current deal done by the Democrats banished into thin air and  now  with sanctions hurting  he will expect the Iranians to come to him and then he will do a deal with them,  I fear he could have a long wait,  that is the problem.
I hope he's not around long enough for a long wait
Just watched the footage of the Iranians seizing the ship. They were like the SAS all sliding down from the helicopter. 
seasider wrote:Just watched the footage of the Iranians seizing the ship. They were like the SAS all sliding down from the helicopter. 
They’d have shat themselves if the SAS had been waiting.