6ea1040a1bfe2e82799ecc36a6d768a5.jpg

I went to Grammar School back then (in 'those' days, well the 70s). Writing relatively correctly was expected of us. But last thirty years this strictness has eased off.

So is it that important today to 100% "go by the book"? Look at this guide just released. I don't like really shoddy writing, but isn't this a bit too much over-the-limit in 2019?

Thoughts?

What idiot thinks we should use imperial measurement. This country has taught metric since the 70s . The majority of the country understand metric better than imperial and it’s a dam sight more accurate. 

The " Oxford comma " is still a matter for concern in our household.

I want shit to be plainly written and easily understood. Very poor grammar and too many typos can distract while reading, but I managed to enjoy Trainspotting and A Clockwork Orange despite their gobbledygook language.

I once had a chat with one of these uber upper crusty Eton types at a posh hotel bar downtown LA late one night in the 90's. I was exploring while tripping on peyote button tea with a good friend of mine, yank, punk guitarist of some local renown.  At first I was embarrassed to be a dossy northerner and rarely for me, a little intimidated. My mate was trying to make the case that we were both Brits and should have loads in common. The toff quickly showed himself to be to be a gay alcoholic on an expense account, he thought he was going to get us both up to his room for games (our eyeliner threw him), we played along and had him buy a bottle of Dom Perignon. My mate Nick had never tasted champagne and the toff insisted on buying the best to get us in the mood. We left him at the bar with a big bill, pissed and alone. I stopped being intimidated by class bullshit that night.

Nice story GSP. 

I’ve stopped using Esq. as it’s dated. I also believe (read somewhere, possibly in my degree study material) that the double space after a full stop is no longer required now we aren’t using typewriters. 

Writing is ever-evolving. Email and social media (and autocorrect) has led to the relaxing of punctuation rules. I know I’m guilty of it. 

What concerns me more, however, is that schools are beginning to remove cursive handwriting from the syllabus. People’s handwriting is bad enough to decipher as it is and this will now deteriorate further. 

Moggy.  Leader of the  Commons.

If ever there was an oxymoron 

It seems to be less important these days but hope my kids can write properly. If they use the word sick in the context of something being good, I will ground them for a week. 
seasider wrote:It seems to be less important these days but hope my kids can write properly. If they use the word sick in the context of something being good, I will ground them for a week. 

There seems to be a lot of words now with a new meaning. Grafting used to mean working hard, now it means chatting up. 

The overused awesome. To me the grand canyon is awesome, not a new game on play Xbox station.