Bury FC’s scheduled Carabao Cup fixture with Sheffield Wednesday has been suspended by the EFL Board after the Club failed to provide the additional specific detail requested in relation to a number of its financial obligations.


The Club had been set a 5pm deadline on Wednesday 7 August 2019 by the League who were seeking further information into how they planned to meet its commitments in respect of football creditor debts, payment to unsecured creditors as part of the Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA), alongside source and sufficiency of funding for season 2019/20.


Following extensive discussions and correspondence between the Club’s ownership and the League - the additional information provided lacks the clarity required and as a result of the League not being able to defer the decision any later than today, the Club’s Carabao Cup tie on Tuesday 13 August 2019 will not take place as scheduled in accordance with Carabao Cup rules. 


The EFL will continue to concentrate its efforts on working constructively with the Club and Mr Dale to obtain the detail required to avoid any further suspensions.


However, the EFL Board is of the strong opinion that it cannot continue to suspend fixtures indefinitely and, after Wednesday’s deadline for information was passed without a successful resolution, it will now lift the suspension on the notice of withdrawal of membership of the EFL.


Bury were served the notice of withdrawal of membership on 25 July 2019 and it has remained suspended until today (8 August 2019). 


As per the League’s Articles of Association, this will now give the Club 14 days (until 23 August 2019) to meet all outstanding requirements of the League’s insolvency policy or its membership of the EFL will be withdrawn.


EFL Executive Chair, Debbie Jevans CBE, said: “Despite continued efforts, regular communication and dialogue with Mr Dale and his team, the required evidence has not been forthcoming. Albeit regretfully, the Board has been left with no choice but to take the action it has.”


https://www.efl.com/news/2019/august/efl-statement-bury-fc-update2/ 


Looks like the end for them now. 

14 days and and it could be all over. A good away day hangs in balance. 

What are the implications for the league if they drop out?

League One reduced to 23, relegation spots reduced to 2? Does this have a cascading effect down the ladder?

As always, it's the normal folk who just want to go and watch a footy match who lose out.

It will be interesting to see what happens here.

Dale states he has sent over all the info the EFL need, so if that is the case and the EFL kick them out, Dale will be able to sue the crap out of them.
Who is Dale?
Magic147 wrote:

What are the implications for the league if they drop out?

League One reduced to 23, relegation spots reduced to 2? Does this have a cascading effect down the ladder?

As always, it's the normal folk who just want to go and watch a footy match who lose out.

I posted this some time ago. 

https://backhenrystreet.co.uk/discussion/35910/how-the-system-works

It may not directly answer your Q but it does seem that there is a knock on effect. 

PDIDDY wrote:Who is Dale?
The owner.

Dale claims he sent the requested information, the EFL said he didn't send enough , or in sufficient detail or something. 

Basically, if he hasn't sent them the confirmation info that they want, then he hasn't got it, and he's stringing them along.


He's a crappy owner dropped in out of his depth thought he could salvage the club from a previous crap owner - so not all of his making, but he's not made things any better. 

TheSteed wrote:The owner.
I thought his name was Steve .
PDIDDY wrote:I thought his name was Steve .
It is. 
TangerineTractor wrote:

Dale claims he sent the requested information, the EFL said he didn't send enough , or in sufficient detail or something. 

Basically, if he hasn't sent them the confirmation info that they want, then he hasn't got it, and he's stringing them along.


He's a crappy owner dropped in out of his depth thought he could salvage the club from a previous crap owner - so not all of his making, but he's not made things any better. 

As much as I think Dale is a crappy owner, there's also a bit of me that thinks the EFL are using this as the perfect opportunity to get rid of their own mistake and making him the scapegoat.

Maybe it's a little bit of both.

Kinda agree. I think the EFL believe, possibly rightly, that too many clubs/owners flaunt the rules and take advantage. They want to make an example of a club, and dumping Bury is going to be a lot easier than dumping Bolton - Steve Dale is a one-man history of failed businesses and dodgy dealings, the club has a relatively small fan base and no "history" in living memory to speak of (with all due respect). Clubs falling out of the league are not unheard of. Maidstone and Aldershot have both done it in recent times. Their fixtures get wiped, one less team gets relegated from each division filtering down at the end of the season.
Compared to those clubs mentioned, Bury do have history although not in our lifetime!
TheSteed wrote:

As much as I think Dale is a crappy owner, there's also a bit of me that thinks the EFL are using this as the perfect opportunity to get rid of their own mistake and making him the scapegoat.

Maybe it's a little bit of both.

My thought exactly. 

I’d be interested to see how Bolton have wriggled out of this punishment.

Would have been nice to go there and fucking hammer them.
Yeah hope they survive. We took about 1,500 during the boycott so reckon they would need to give us two stands this time. 
Not been a good day for Bolton either. Takeover suspended whatever that means.

Today’s press release. 


The EFL Board has handed Bury FC owner Steve Dale a 9am deadline on Tuesday 13 August 2019 to provide the outstanding evidence it has previously requested or this weekend’s home fixture against Gillingham will be suspended.


Despite further exchanges of correspondence and a meeting earlier today, Mr Dale has still not provided the required clarity on how he plans to meet the Club’s commitments to football creditors, payment to unsecured creditors as part of the Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA), alongside source and sufficiency of funding for season 2019/20.


Bury has already been issued with a notice of withdrawal of membership by the EFL and has until 23 August 2019 to meet all outstanding requirements of the League’s insolvency policy or its membership of the EFL will be withdrawn.


EFL Executive Chair, Debbie Jevans CBE, said: “We remain disappointed that we are still not in a position to reach a successful conclusion with Mr Dale but will continue to work diligently in an effort to receive the information we require. 


“The real threat of Bury’s EFL membership being withdrawn still exists, a situation nobody - including this Board - wants to see and I sincerely hope we can find a way through these challenging circumstances for the benefit of all those who have an association with the Club.”



I really can’t see them getting out of this now. 

This goes past the point of banter. Probably wouldn't give a shit if it was some shitty Southern club but was looking forward to Bury away as Steed lives there.

So worst case scenario, what happens to Bury FC? Do they just get relegated or do they have to form a new club like AFC Bury?
seasider wrote:So worst case scenario, what happens to Bury FC? Do they just get relegated or do they have to form a new club like AFC Bury?
The what happens depends on Dale. The league will throw them out and where they land who knows. Presumably right down at the bottom and have to start again. An AFC Bury would be a new club .

This just breaking. 

Breaking news

Bury have said owner Steve Dale has been made aware of an offer to buy the financially embattled League One club.


The English Football League have also given Bury until 09:00 BST on Tuesday to show how they plan to pay off creditors - or they face having a fourth game suspended.


In a statement on Bury's website, the club said the offer "is the only lifeline for the future of the club".


Dale has said he will not sell until financial stability is restored. 


Weird that the official statement has come from the staff to get the owner's attention. Can you imagine Oyston allowing that on the official site!

https://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/2019/august/statement-from-bury-fc-staff/

He will be fuming 😂
I've seen rumours that it's the man who wanted to buy Bolton. Bassini or something like that. 
TheSteed wrote:He will be fuming 😂

You know more than you let on? 

seasider wrote:I've seen rumours that it's the man who wanted to buy Bolton. Bassini or something like that. 
Christ. Isnt he a conman?
Leesthedaddy wrote:

You know more than you let on? 

No, just because he’s been using the official site to put out his nonsense so obviously the staff have got sick of it and decided to do the same.

As expected. 



The EFL Board has suspended Bury FC’s fixture with Gillingham on Saturday 17 August 2019 as it has not received the outstanding evidence required by today’s 9am deadline.


Clarity is still required on plans to meet the Club’s commitments to football creditors, payment to unsecured creditors as part of the Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA), alongside source and sufficiency of funding for season 2019/20.


As a result of the necessary evidence not being made available, the fixture has been suspended in accordance with EFL Regulation 28.2 and is the Club’s fourth game of the season not to take place as originally scheduled. 


A decision on whether to suspend Bury’s upcoming fixture with Rotherham United, scheduled to take place on Tuesday 20 August, will be taken on Thursday 15 August.


The EFL has made it clear that it cannot continue suspending fixtures indefinitely and the deadline of 23 August for withdrawal of membership remains in place. However, the EFL remains committed to working with the Club to try to find a successful conclusion.



The EFL Board has taken the decision to suspend Bury FC’s upcoming League One fixture with Rotherham United on Tuesday 20 August 2019 as the outstanding evidence regarding a number of financial commitments has still not been provided by owner Steve Dale.


It is now the Club’s fourth game of the season not to take place as originally scheduled and they will be referred to a Disciplinary Commission in respect of all suspended League matches.


However, as previously stated the EFL maintains the view that League matches cannot continue being suspended indefinitely, as the pressures of a congested fixture calendar will simply not allow such flexibility and the deadline of 23 August for withdrawal of membership remains in place.


Bury are due to play Tranmere Rovers on 24 August 2019 and, because of the close proximity to the notice of withdrawal deadline, a decision on whether to suspend that fixture will take place in the early part of week commencing 19 August 2019.


In addition, Bury has also been served with a notice of charge in regard to its failure to fulfil the cup tie against Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday 13 August 2019.


The Club has been given until 5pm on Wednesday 21 August 2019 to respond. At this stage the management committee of the competition (the EFL Board) will determine the matter or refer it to a Disciplinary Commission under EFL Regulations.


Talk about kicking when down. 

Served with a notice of charge for the sheff weds game , when it was the EFL who cancelled it. 

Dale needs to accept this supposed offer or they are doomed. The EFL do seem to be enjoying it though!