Hi boys, I know I'm in North Spain, but I'd like to sound you out a bit.

We moved to a new house a few months ago, house needs a lot of doing up, but an amazing size garden - 3/4 of an acre.

My son 23 years old now wants to put a 6' deep car pit near the entrance, but I'm just realizing that pits now in Spain are hardly legal. What's the situation in the UK, what basic requirements are required and are local town councils reluctant to agree? I think my son is wading into a stack of problems - doesn't want an elevator he says - but any thoughts from anyone who knows the scene much better than me? It's also a damp area where he proposing!

Cheers ....

Can’t remember the last time I saw a pit, all garages have the car lift things. 

There was a house near where grew up had one. It has planks that went over the pit where not in use. 

You need to have surveys done and all sorts.

Imagine digging a trench in your garden and taking out a sewer...

In answer to your question I have no idea re regulations in the UK, but would be surprised if they were now legal.

At six foot deep, working on a car could prove to be quite tiresome particularly on the arms and shoulders, presumably he wants to be able to do oil changes, exhaust repairs etc.

My advice would be to take the car to a commercial repair shop and get him to concentrate on the violin.😢

TheSteed wrote:

You need to have surveys done and all sorts.

Imagine digging a trench in your garden and taking out a sewer...

Nope, it's already dug out, no problems there. But it's what to do next that's bothering me ...
daib0 wrote:Nope, it's already dug out, no problems there. But it's what to do next that's bothering me ...
I think the reason many are against them now is exhaust gases will sit inside the pit, where a lift is leaving the worker at ground level . 
daib0 wrote:Nope, it's already dug out, no problems there. But it's what to do next that's bothering me ...
Fill it in with concrete. 🤣🤣🤣
Buy him a trolley jack, 4 axle stands & a wheeled creeper. There's only so much car maintenance you can do with a pit. That's why you rarely see them these days. 
Buy him a Brazzers subscription. 

it's all on hold for the moment!

I live in southern Spain and when I take my car for it's yearly MoT (ITV) they use a pit to check the bottom of the car, so they must be legal. I would not want one to work on a car, too much stretching.
Alderneytangerine wrote:I live in southern Spain and when I take my car for it's yearly MoT (ITV) they use a pit to check the bottom of the car, so they must be legal. I would not want one to work on a car, too much stretching.
yeah, but that would be a licensed business I suppose... but putting one in your own garden is probably a lot more dicey.....