Hope no one has flights booked with Thomas Cook although you can claim a refund it says!
That’s not much help if you’re going today. 

My mate (Halifax71 on here) is currently in Tunisia with his wife on a Thomas Cook holiday- the one that was in the news yesterday because they locked the gates and wouldn't let them out unless they paid extra - anyway hes got a week left so hes not arsed 😁

We've booked Turkey next year with them so need to get our money back from ATOL apparently- still at least we can get it back eventually feel sorry for those that are now jobless 

Good attitude Tenty. Apparently replacement flights with other companies will be a lot dearer. I remember when Monarch went bust. My Mrs stayed up for most of the night and bought tickets with another airline just before the price hike. I am sure others have been doing the same with Thomas Cook.
Hard to imagine a world without Thomas Cook being around.
Don't think I've ever flown with them so I doubt I will notice. Don't really do package holidays. I did fly with MyTravel though which seems to be the reason this has all happened.
Your fault again then Steed
I don’t travel with Thomas Cook, they were wank.
Well no one else will now either 
When I was working in the travel business in LA in the 80's and 90's, Thomas Cook were still highly respected and the only UK company to have a local LA rep.
I think very popular with the older generation or is that Thomson. 
20,000 lost jobs overnight it appears. Started in 1841...quite a run.
GynnSquarePhoenix wrote:When I was working in the travel business in LA in the 80's and 90's, Thomas Cook were still highly respected and the only UK company to have a local LA rep.

I am sure you are correct John but remember having a weekend over in LA in the early eighties when based in New York and we met a couple of Airtour reps, who I  would have sworn  were working at the Airport.

We flew originally fro London to New York with Laker Airways pioneer of the cheap long haul flights back then.

They had airplanes in 1841? ;)

The first package tour tour was a bus out of Leicester to a nearby village. People were willing to pay to leave Leicester in a group.

Very sad, all the job losses not to mention the people whose holidays have been affected and almost exactly 2 years since the Monarch collapse.

Is it just coincidence that both happened at the end of the summer season?

Graves wrote:

They had airplanes in 1841? ;)

The first package tour tour was a bus out of Leicester to a nearby village. People were willing to pay to leave Leicester in a group.

Very interesting, thanks! 

Surprised the MSG aren’t getting blamed for this. 
Monosodium Glutamate? 
tangerinejezza wrote:Surprised the MSG aren’t getting blamed for this. 
It'll be Corbyns fault
The banks are getting blamed for only offering to lend just under a billion quid to bail them out, instead of just over.