Defending was school boy stuff today

From the first couple of minutes we were on the back foot

I am lost for words for the way we conceded the goals

On the positive Lua Lua scored with a cracker

What went wrong? Any views?
I'll copy my post from the match thread here if we are going to use this thread to dissect the game:

The defensive organisation has been done to death but it is really beyond a joke. Well done to Reading for doing their homework. Any cross aimed toward the far post, edge of the six yard box causes us major problems. Even more so from set pieces.

Sylvestre just isn't good enough against a top team. He offers enough going forward but is a liability when pressed and when the opposition are in possession.

Right-back position needs sorting. Neither Eardley or Baptiste are good enough.

Ferguson looks disinterested.

Matty Phillips looked good... when he switched over to the right. I just don't think playing inside out suits him. He needs to cut back on himself and isn't able to make himself enough space for a cross because it is entirely predictable.

Kevin Phillips had an off day. I said last week, no matter how fit he is, 270 minutes of football in 7 days at this level is too much for a 38 year old. That said, he didn't get much service today.

LLL looked as good as he has since the new year.

There is a distinct lack of communication and leadership on the pitch. On a lot of occasions today we looked like a group of strangers.

In summary; unfortunately, I just don't think we are good enough for the play-offs. We won't be far off, but we won't quite make it this year. I would loved to be proved wrong.

Well done to Reading. Well-drilled, well organised, well-prepared and fantastic energy levels right up to the end of the game. Deserved 3 points. Could push the saints to the wire for the league.
Nice one Cheesyleps

At the end of the day the best team won

On to Southampton...its a must win game now!!
You can't win football matches defending like that
Attack like Brazil

Defend like Rhyl
MR-DD wrote:

Defending was school boy stuff today

From the first couple of minutes we were on the back foot

I am lost for words for the way we conceded the goals

On the positive Lua Lua scored with a cracker

What went wrong? Any views?

I agree. Good post.
Deepdale-Is-My-Church wrote:

I agree. Good post.

Go back to AVFTT you prat!
Well I have just got back and disagree with a lot that has been said, ok we made a few slip ups on defending but that is nothing new as for the rest of the game there was nothing to choose between the two sides and Reading on that showing will get slaughtered if they go up, there not a Premiership side by any stretch of the imagination and nor are we with our defending.

The first goal was a bit mickey mouse, for their seconed we left one of their guys on his own beyoned the far post, a free header you could say followed by one of the goals of the season from Lua Lua out of nothing, superb strike, followed by another set piece the type of play we seem to secumb too.

Basham other than a few misplaced passes was excellent, got involved, GTF looked all in just before being sub'd, Lua Lua keeps a couple of opposition players tied up on the wing, yes I enjoyed it, not the result but watched the team play some entertaining football.

Putting the goals to one side and yes I know they produce the result, the two teams looked fairly evenly matched, just a shame we swith off at high balls coming in.

Weather wise for those interested, 21dec C , Sunny and warm, no wind and what appeared to be an excellent playing surface.

Now for that bottle of Jim Bean Red Stag, better be good.
nice to get a perspective from somebody who made the trip, can some times get a bit doom and gloom when there is loads of us sat behind a keyboard watching another disappointing result.

We are a good side, no doubt. I still think we will have a chance come the last game of the season. However, it is obvious that we will continue to concede poor goals by leaving men un marked at the back post etc. We can have 60 percent posession with some of the best attacking plaers in the league playing great flowing football. Its' a shame all of this can be negated in seconds by a costly defending error.
Got to agree with TAM, I thought that we were pants. We were outplayed by a pretty mediocre side.
The entire midfield looked poor to me whitstable. At the most basic level their job is to link the play between defence and forwards, control possession and dictate the tempo of the game. They achieved none of that. As we have every time this season, we struggled against a team that presses and closes down with intent.

There was a distinct lack of communication and understanding all across the pitch. The midfielders and defenders looked like they had never even met each other before.
That's how I saw it, we played some decent football at times and were not outplayed by Reading, as I said it was fairly even except for the few silly defending moments.

As for saying we struggled, your way of the mark and I was not wearing Tangerine specs as Tam suggests.

If you think today was poor, then I don't know were you were when we did put out poor sides.

If KP had scored just before the interval it could well have been another outcome, then there would have been little or no critism at all.
After seeing the highlights on the fl show (we were the featured match Im guessing) I dont think whitestable wrong or at least far off. We looked very slick in and around the box against a very solid defensive unit.

However there would have always been criticism of the defense because it doesnt matter how many we could have scored, we were always susceptible to set pieces. If they continue to defend like that we just arent sustainable to win promotion because we could concede at any moment.
Just got back myself (detour via the wilds of yorkshire) I thought we weathered their initial attacks and had settled with a few half chances of our own. The first goal from outside the area which rattled both posts bewfore falling to Harte was unfortunate, the defending on the other two wasnt great but on the third i noticed that 3 of their players moved forward taking our defenders with them, leaving the guy who scored unmarked. LLLs goal was a cracker, we came very close to getting an equaliser right at the end ogf the first half but were generally 2nd best.
Whitstable, the kp chance would have made no difference. Flag was up for offside.

We did struggle. The amount of clear chances we made was less than a handful. Think of the first half, howmany times did basham and Sylvestre give theball away in the middle under pressure and then fail to track back afterwards?

I agree we were unlucky with the first. I suspect it was offside as the scorer was the corner taker. There was no excuse forthe second or third.[hr]

I have a feeling that I'm not getting across what I could see properly. Text can be such a limiting medium at times.
tangerine77 wrote:

Go back to AVFTT you prat!

Don't mix Saturday night drinks with keyboard rants, you'll look silly.

OIAH wrote:

Don't mix Saturday night drinks with keyboard rants, you'll look silly.

Errr i was stone cold sober and i was telling Deepdaleismychurch to go back to AVFTT where he had been minutes earlier on a wind up mission. Why i dont know when you have just been held at home to the mighty Bury.
tangerine77 wrote:

Errr i was stone cold sober and i was telling Deepdaleismychurch to go back to AVFTT where he had been minutes earlier on a wind up mission. Why i dont know when you have just been held at home to the mighty Bury.

I'm worried that it's Sunday morning and you still seem drunk?
OIAH wrote:

I'm worried that it's Sunday morning and you still seem drunk?

Yeah whatever you say mate. Your so predictable and boring.
Lets not argue gents

The sun is shining and its Gods day

UTP
MR-DD wrote:

Lets not argue gents

UTP

In a bedroom I didn't intend to be in this morning, watching the Politics Show on BBC1 waiting for a bowl of cereals and a tab to be brought to me.

If the suns shining in Gods back garden, I think an afternoon sipping Pimms in my Flop Flips is on the cards

MR-DD wrote:

Lets not argue gents

UTP

Agreed:angel:
Hope she's not a munter OIAH ;)
MR-DD wrote:

Hope she's not a munter OIAH ;)

The "Fuckachunk policy" went out with the end of 2011. New year and now it's 8/10 and nothing lower.
OIAH wrote:

The "Fuckachunk policy" went out with the end of 2011. New year and now it's 8/10 and nothing lower.

Where did you find that then?

Surely not in Gillespies or the Tower lounge?
Let's keep this on topic gents or thread will be closed
Deepdale-Is-My-Church wrote:

I agree. Good post.

The AVFTT resident Nobber has arrived! Nice one Bury.

seasider wrote:

The AVFTT resident Nobber has arrived! Nice one Bury.

Exactly my point yet i was accused of being drunk:huh:
I thought we passed the ball well at times but lacked creativity on the day, which is unusual for us. Defensively we were atrocious, how they were allowed free headers I don't know... Do we blame the defenders or do we blame the goalkeeper for lack of organisation?

To top it off, the food prices outside the ground were horrendous!

seasider wrote:

Let's keep this on topic gents or thread will be closed

Like a classroom...