members do not see advertisements

Ian Holloway: Blackpool standards slipped, says Evatt

By seasider in

Blackpool FC

5 years ago
RE: Ian Holloway: Blackpool standards slipped, says Evatt
By seasider 5 years ago
Defender Ian Evatt has been critical of Ian Holloway's training methods during the final weeks of his three-and-a-half year reign at Blackpool.

Holloway left the Seasiders on 3 November to become Crystal Palace boss.

Evatt revealed to BBC Radio Lancashire that the squad rarely trained together before Michael Appleton's arrival.

"In the last couple of months, we hadn't really done much training. We had numerous days off - anything from two to five or six at a time," he said.

"It was as surprising to the lads as anyone else. We're an honest bunch of players and we want to work hard, but at times we weren't doing that. Maybe that's why we had the bad spell that we had.

"We've knuckled down now. Training has been fantastic in the last 10 days or so.

"The training has been hard work but we've needed it. We're doing things that we haven't done for a long time, especially working on things defensively.

"For whatever reason, the old manager didn't really work on defensive stuff. It was all attacking work.

"The lads are getting fitter and stronger. It's onwards and upwards now and hopefully now we'll start climbing the league because that's where we deserve to be."

Holloway, 49, presided over one of the most successful periods of Blackpool's recent history, winning promotion to the Premier League in 2010 and reaching the Championship play-off final last season.

But he said he needed a new challenge after replacing Dougie Freedman at Palace, and left Bloomfield Road having won only two of his last 10 games at the helm.

The Bristolian watched his new team beat Blackburn at Selhurst Park on the day of his appointment and since then has won all three of his games in charge to take Palace two points clear at the top of the Championship.

Blackpool drew 1-1 at struggling Bristol City on Saturday - their second consecutive draw under new boss Appleton.

"I think it's the best we've played away from home for a long time," added the 31-year-old centre-back.

"We looked very solid and they didn't look like scoring, but the ref's given a penalty from nowhere and it would have been a travesty if we had lost that game.

"We've shown good character to come back, especially going 1-0 behind so late. There are a lot of positives to take."

BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20392765
By FY4MIKEH 5 years ago
Good riddance indeed. Too busy playing happy families in Bath. He will get found out at Palace. No way they will go up.
By Themissingmillions 5 years ago
I think it fair to say standards started to slip a few weeks before he actually left, taking that aside he's arguably the best manager we have had in decades and that should never be forgotten what he achieved on little or no money was nothing short of a miracle and i for one wish him well and thank him for the last 3 years, as at 50+ i never expected to see my beloved Blackpool ever play in the premier league in my life time. :thumbsup:
By rammyboy1973 5 years ago
Agree westey , he was plotting his escape way before he left . But not judas , no way . KING KARL got his just deserts nothing tangible for him to stay . Even Ollie couldnt spin his tune anymore . Try looking from a supporters stance and not the pikeys eh.
All that money he wasted on the development squad?

Why did he actually buy anyone? and please don't say wages i bet the total wage bill for the whole squad is less than 5k a week. :thumbsdown:
What are you babbling on about development squad for , that has cost nothing m8 . Karl has been well paid for by taking us up to academy level 3 , the club received inxcess of 800.000.00 off the football league trust .
By seasider 5 years ago
It could be either:

a) Ollie had simply fallen out of love with the club and couldn't be arsed anymore.

b) Constant budget restrictions and lack of support from the owners wore Ollie down.

I guess we will never know.
By whitstabletangerine 5 years ago
Themissingmillions wrote:

I think it fair to say standards started to slip a few weeks before he actually left, taking that aside he's arguably the best manager we have had in decades and that should never be forgotten what he achieved on little or no money was nothing short of a miracle and i for one wish him well and thank him for the last 3 years, as at 50+ i never expected to see my beloved Blackpool ever play in the premier league in my life time. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

It is a great pity that some on here cannot see what he achieved and if only he had been given the players he actually wanted then we wouldn't now have an oversized squad.
Back to the op , evo should know as his standards are non existant from what he use to be , a shadow of his former self . Sorry to say .....
gillbridgescockstrap wrote:

Ince to Manchester utd is a done deal.

Around 12 million, rising to 15 million depending on future appearances and international caps . Deal to go ahead in January..no mention of a loan back to bloomers.

You heard it here first.

this news was brought to you by gillbridgescockstrap news international.

whitstabletangerine wrote:

It is a great pity that some on here cannot see what he achieved and if only he had been given the players he actually wanted then we wouldn't now have an oversized squad.

And who knows we may have still been able to keep hold of Holloway had he got what he wanted. :thumbsup:

totally agree whits , people with short memories , the man is a legend . No other word for it . It always becomes unsavory when their is a parting of the ways .
By Halifax71 5 years ago
Maybe it's just me but if I was getting paid circa £500k a year I would make sure I trained every day irrespective of the demands of the manager.

What was to stop them arranging their own training?
By FY4MIKEH 5 years ago
I thought Thommo took the training when Ollie was away. Obviously not. Another idle sod then. What a way to run a football club. Appy will sort this lot out, with Westwoods help.:thumbsup:
He did mike , you try it sounds easy your way.
By FY4MIKEH 5 years ago
WestLancsUnsocialClub wrote:

Im with Mike on this, surely Thommo as Asst Manager/Coach could have organised something for the lads, or let the powers that be know.

Correct westy, and did koko know this was going on ?
Here we go round the mullberry bush . Fishing exspedition eh lads do try harder , least a tad more effort as much an effort as wembley would be nice .pow
Hahaha
By FY4MIKEH 5 years ago
WestLancsUnsocialClub wrote:

I doubt it, he trusted them and they let him down

Vagabonds the pair of them. Ring a ring of roses.
By whitstabletangerine 5 years ago
I think Evo's standards have slipped this season.
Well well, Evatt is now slagging off the training regime [or lack of it] how many of us saw him out jogging during his day's off? how many of us saw him at his local gym on his day's off?

Strange but he looks the most unfit bloke at the club right now and he's the one moaning. :grayno:
By FY4MIKEH 5 years ago

I think Evo's standards have slipped this season.

He's been doing too many shifts on the Landau.
FY4MIKEH wrote:

Vagabonds the pair of them. Ring a ring of roses.

a pocket full of posies tissue a tissue you all fall down hahaha
By tangerine77 5 years ago
Halifax71 wrote:

Maybe it's just me but if I was getting paid circa £500k a year I would make sure I trained every day irrespective of the demands of the manager.

What was to stop them arranging their own training?

The blame has to lie with the manager, it seems whilst other teams have hit top gear, we are in pre season.
By MR-DD 5 years ago
JUDAS built us and then destroyed us
By tangerine77 5 years ago
I agree, his sulking can destroy teams.
By XOWS_13 5 years ago
The truth comes out and some people care to have a go at Evo (in this instance)!? there is only one person to blame and that was/is Hollowords,

Of course we are in his debt for taking us to the promised land and are grateful for that - to be fair he got his just plaudits and more for doing that.

But how anyone can defend him for giving players up to SIX days off is beyond me?? At the end ole hollowords has a lot to answer for, hopefully now on wards and upwards with Appy!
By seasider 5 years ago
Evo's form hasn't been great but I think the fans should be happy that Evatt is saying how it is - not slagging him off for speaking his mind.
By XOWS_13 5 years ago
seasider wrote:

Evo's form hasn't been great but I think the fans should be happy that Evatt is saying how it is - not slagging him off for speaking his mind.

:thumbsup::clap:

agree on all that mate
Always after the horse has bolted how amusing .
By FY4MIKEH 5 years ago
rammyboy1973 wrote:

Always after the horse has bolted how amusing .

The cart horse that is rammy.